TIFU by pulling someone out of the snow… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found setting up diffs to be pretty straight forward. 🤷‍♂️

But nothing wrong with using pro mechanics that’s for sure.

Completely agree, it's not quantum physics. Theres plenty of resources out there at our fingertips to learn how to do it. I set mine up never having set gears before, so I pulled the 3rds out at 500 and 5000 miles after the fact to see how they were wearing and they are PERFECT. No excessive sound, no weird wear. It's very possible to DIY, its just scarry if you don't understand it and think its over your head. Hell it's a bit scary to DIY but you just have to trust the process in the FSM and guides.

How likely could this be a transfer case issue?

Have you popped drive flanges off yet? You could just take the dust cap things off and see what the axle stub does when in drive 4hi
So easy to check, yet 4 pages of chat and no one can get HAAANK to start with easiest and the most likely . 🤷‍♂️
Start with the easy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So easy to check, yet 4 pages of chat and no one can get HAAANK to start with easiest and the most likely . 🤷‍♂️
Start with the easy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL Yeah I know….but in my defense my shop floor (aka driveway) is covered in an inch of ice and 12” inches of snow ( 9” in the past 24hours) and with windchill it was in the low teens today. This guy couldn’t locate the motivation to get on with things esp with his Rams on. 🤷‍♂️

Soon I promise, I don’t want to waste your guy’s time and the input has been great

No need to freak tho, IF it is the front diff you need a R&P and bearings, and now you have the perfect excuse to justify ARB LOCKER to the missus, "it's essential for safety in energetic situations honey". Not super cheap but not the end of the world. Toyota diffs are some of the easiest to rebuild and slap back into action.
Fixt

This is a video of me going forward and then reversing damn near full throttle both ways in 4hi

The hubs seem to move okay, unless I failed to grasp instructions but also at the end there’s an unsettling chatter. 🤦‍♀️

Never mind the hanging O2 sensor, shop down the street left the nuts off when I had it in for a CEL diagnosis (long story for another day)

I can see the hub moving in the video, you need to remove the cap on the very end, a big set of channel will do it. then you can see the end of the axle. I would bet it's spinning in there.

Definitely something going on with the hub I can see it moving independent of the wheel and lug nuts.

chatter definitely from the front right hub

I can see the hub moving in the video, you need to remove the cap on the very end, a big set of channel will do it. then you can see the end of the axle. I would bet it's spinning in there.
On it

It may be hard to see in the video But the axle is rattling around.

OK, it's not the drive flange, you are going to half to go deeper. next is to get that side on a jack stand and start pulling that side apart.
And it should not be all rusty in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom