TIFU by pulling someone out of the snow… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m sure I’ll catch some flack for this and at the end of the day this is probably going to be an expensive lesson. In short, I’m feeling pretty dumb ha ha.

My neighbors kid ran over and said he needed a hand and so I hooked up the tow rope. About 8” of snow had fallen the night before so there was a bit of snow on the street blocking him from getting out. I could find any recovery points under the front so went for the rear where I had access to more stout cross members. Due to the way we were situated and the fact I wanted to keep an eye on his car so we didn’t hit anything else, I decided to reverse in 4 low fully locked…I had traction and then I hit some ice and leaned a little harder (maybe floored it) on the the throttle. Then “clunk”. Sort of a whack/**** scenario. at that point I turned around and pulled him out with out too much issue. A little worried about the clunk but not that much. A little while later I go to drive to the store and it will not drive in 4 high.

How bad did I **** things up??

Last edited:
94 has a dash mounted CDL right? Lock the CDL and try driving in high.

No need to freak tho, IF it is the front diff you need a R&P and bearings, about $400ish. Not super cheap but not the end of the world. Toyota diffs are some of the easiest to rebuild and slap back into action.

Front diff is likely, reverse is where Toyota front diffs go to die.
Only ours with reverse rotation gears to accommodate that nice high pinion configuration. He was on ice. I’m curious as to how the tires grabbed enough traction to break anything.

I’m sure I’ll catch some flack for this and at the end of the day this is probably going to be an expensive lesson. I’m short, I’m feeling pretty dumb ha ha.

My neighbors kid ran over and said he needed a hand and so I hooked up the tow rope. About 8” of snow had fallen the night before so there was a bit of snow on the street blocking him from getting out. I could find any recovery points under the front so went for the rear where I had access to more stout cross members. Due to the way we were situated and the fact I wanted to keep an eye on his car so we didn’t hit anything else, I decided to reverse in 4 low fully locked…I had traction and then I hit some ice and leaned a little harder (maybe floored it) on the the throttle. Then “clunk”. Sort of a whack/f*** scenario. at that point I turned around and pulled him out with out too much issue. A little worried about the clunk but not that much. A little while later I go to drive to the store and it will not drive in 4 high.

How bad did I f*** things up??
Will the 80 motivate in 4 low?

Only ours with reverse rotation gears to accommodate that nice high pinion configuration. He was on ice. I’m curious as to how the tires grabbed enough traction to break anything.
I had the exact same diff in a 4Runner, and my buddy has one in a 79 hilux, granted they could be PO swaps to HP idk what they actually came factory in. Hopefully it’s something easy and cheap, but the send it in reverse story often ends in a R&P that’s all I’m saying.

Never tow in reverse. The diffs are not designed for that. you likely have stripped teeth of the gears in the front diff. Pricey mistake....
noted :facepalm:

If the OP was lucky as hell he just may have stripped a drive flange or even snapped an axle instead of busting a ring/pinion.
:worms:

Did you confirm what it is ?
If it was the third it would not drive in low with out noise 😉

found a curb, but was slipping, so not really traction...idk

94 has a dash mounted CDL right? Lock the CDL and try driving in high.
I'll give this a shot...i actually never tried to lock in 4high

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom