TIFU by pulling someone out of the snow… (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From here I would say snapped axle or birfield.

Mak
From here I would say snapped axle or birfield.
Makes sense. going deeper will require a small barrel fire or I will freeze. Native socal guy in the Midwest, I’m a baby in cold weather 14 with windchill

Last edited:
Sorry Bud, I been whining the last few day on the central coast that it's to hot 80 degrees 🤔 in February. 🤷‍♂️

So easy to check, yet 4 pages of chat and no one can get HAAANK to start with easiest and the most likely . 🤷‍♂️
Start with the easy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I mentioned it in post #48.

however, based on the videos it's looking like an exploded birfield.

If you place the truck in 4WD low, it should move when the center differential locks.

Then when you steer around a corner, you will hear crunching in the RF hub.

If you get the truck to move in 4Lo, then you can pull the CDL fuse and then move back to 4Hi to be able to get around. HOWEVER, the more you move around, the more damage will take place in that hub. Think of ball bearings in a blender. Literally.

If you reverse with too much load the 80 will dump it's front differential, I would drain the oil and with a piece of wire prob around inside the drain plug hole and see what 'bit's' come out. You need to pull the driveshafts to get the differential out anyway. I would seek out a friends garage and get it taken there by a breakdown truck. Get warm and get stuck in.

Regards

Dave

Agreed, but would pull the drain plug first, it might save a lot of work later.

Regards

Dave
Not much he’s going to have to pull the spindle regardless if it’s a birf for diff.

Perhaps I should have elaborated?

Check the oil in the differential and if there is nasty stuff, then instead of just jacking one side and pulling a birf and shaft, by checking the oil you now have the job of:

Lifting the front axle both sides at once.
Pulling both wheels.
Pulling both sets of birf and axle assemblies.
Pulling the drive shaft.
Pulling the diff.

I guess being a time served mechanic and being very methodical in my approach, it seemed IMO to do the prep work in one go, metal in the diff simply guiding the OP the way to go.

Regards

Dave

Most of us don't have a lift so you need to jack up one side at a time ;)
Perhaps I should have elaborated?

Check the oil in the differential and if there is nasty stuff, then instead of just jacking one side and pulling a birf and shaft, by checking the oil you now have the job of:

Lifting the front axle both sides at once.
Pulling both wheels.
Pulling both sets of birf and axle assemblies.
Pulling the drive shaft.
Pulling the diff.

I guess being a time served mechanic and being very methodical in my approach, it seemed IMO to do the prep work in one go, metal in the diff simply guiding the OP the way to go.

Regards

Dave
It took him 3 week to pull the dust cover and check the drive flange. 🤷‍♂️
I don't think he's in a hurry ;)

Last edited:
I mentioned it in post #48.

however, based on the videos it's looking like an exploded birfield.

If you place the truck in 4WD low, it should move when the center differential locks.

Then when you steer around a corner, you will hear crunching in the RF hub.

If you get the truck to move in 4Lo, then you can pull the CDL fuse and then move back to 4Hi to be able to get around. HOWEVER, the more you move around, the more damage will take place in that hub. Think of ball bearings in a blender. Literally.

Yeah I work from home so I’m trying to keep it stationary. Supposed to be in the 50s next week so with any luck I’ll be out in a tank top and flip flops wrenching on this old guy

If you reverse with too much load the 80 will dump it's front differential, I would drain the oil and with a piece of wire prob around inside the drain plug hole and see what 'bit's' come out. You need to pull the driveshafts to get the differential out anyway. I would seek out a friends garage and get it taken there by a breakdown truck. Get warm and get stuck in.

Regards

Dave

There’s a vacant tire shop on the corner with 10-15 bays of bendpack lifts gathering dust…

Most of us don't have a lift so you need to jack up one side at a time ;)

It took him 3 week to pull the dust cover and check the drive flange. 🤷‍♂️
I don't think he in a hurry ;)
Yeah I’m in the slow lane this time of year. I need the truck but I work from home so…

Well hurry the **** up so we can finally see the culprit. The anticipation is worse than wondering if my 5th grade gf would let me get to third base or not. The answer was, “not” and it took me less time to get there than to find out if your birfs are blown out and you’re an adult who works from home! So much time on your hands!!:flipoff2:

In defense of HAAANK it is 10 degrees today, again.
10 degrees is the perfect weather for learning about the brittleness of our electrical terminals.

Update:

That's not good my friend. Birfield or a axle is my guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom