Tie rod question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well,
I'm halfway through a front disc brake conv. on my '74 Fj40 and I am noticing that neither of the tie rods that I have are going to do the trick. I have the whole front dif. from an '85 4runner with the tie rod.
The hole on the 4runner rod that "accepts" the rod from the center arm of my cruiser is in the wrong place and the tie rod ends on my cruiser tie rod have a smaller diameter shaft than the 4runner and therefore will not fit in the 4runner steering arms :p.
Is there another way of doing this ???
rye

When I did mine I just flipped it around, the original cruiser relay rod had to be shortened (needs a special metric tap) to fit into what used to be the hole for the 4Runner steering stabilizer. The hole doesn't have the correct taper for the relay rod end, but it worked.

Keep in mind in my case it was a temporary arrangement until I got AP Hy Steer. But it drove fine for a couple of weeks.

Dave

Yeh, the taper is the problem. I don't plan to change my steering set up for another year. I want to put power steering in the cruiser but I won't have the cash until ,probably, this fall or winter. Until I do this I need a steering set up that will put up a "certain amount" of abuse for the summer.

thanks for the reply,
rye

I went with heim joints and a new DOM drag link and tie rod.

Could you have a competant machine shop cut the right taper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom