Tie Rod Ends

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Hoosier Daddy, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy SILVER Star

Media:
    I continue to try to troubleshoot a pull to the left under acceleration. At this point I have excluded tires (rotated L to R on several occasions with no change), alignment (caster is a tiny bit low at 1.7), wheel bearings (new), knuckle bearings (new), and brakes.

So, now I'm looking at the tie rod ends. With a front tire jacked up, pulling back and forth on the 3 and 9 positions, I can feel no looseness. All 4 ends (tie rod and relay rod) seem okay in this regard. The outer relay rod end was replaced only a few months ago, after coming apart completely during an attempt to do an alignment.

The tie rod seems to swivel back and forth on its axis rather easily (compared to the relay rod), and there is grease coming out of the boot on the driver's side TRE.

So, my question is - what are the odds that a tie rod end could be causing the pull, despite not being able to sense any looseness when wiggling the tire? :confused:

2. RV80

RV80

Check the panhard rod bushes.

3. Kalawang

Kalawang

I check the TRE by dismounting it and moving it by hand. I think you get too much leverage when it's mounted so as far as that stage goes, for me it's strictly ocular. However, TRE's can also be soft but not loose so I prefer the dismounted hand test. It's a relatively easy job and they don't cost all that much.

A pull under acceleration can be caused by more things than I can handle or give confident advice on. It could be the TRE as you suspect and as I have experienced. However there are too many things that can also cause this. Sorry, thats as far as I'm willing to go.

Kalawang

4. dd113

dd113

tons of stuff could cause this. I would check the preload on the knuckles and wheel bearings. The TREs should not cause this.

5. Hoosier Daddy

Media:
    Anybody care to help me out by listing a few more things that can cause a pull under acceleration? Other than the things I mentioned above, I am not sure what else to check. I'm really getting frustrated with this problem. :mad:

Bushings in the front and rear (control arms, panhard) appear to be fre of damage or distortion. Preload checks out for front wheel and knuckle bearings.

6. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

I don't know what the history is on the vehicle, but something amiss in the rear could be the issue since you've done a great job checking most everything on the front.

For instance, a previous accident could have damaged the frame or bent a rear spindle. To check this easily and cheaply, have someone drive the 80 a few miles on the freeway and you follow to see if the rears track perfectly behind the fronts. Just casually and boredly looking around on long freeway trips, I'm surprised at how often I run across a car that is "dog walking" down the freeway - sometimes with the rear several inches to one side. So that's a simple check.

Another would be to stand next to each front wheel in turn while the front bumper is against something like a loading dock (so you can push into a rubber surface) and have someone at the wheel blip the throttle progressively harder until you're confident the front axle is not moving around quite a bit under acceleration. Obviously if the right side is moving forward, the truck will track left immediately. Do the reverse as well. Have the person come to a fairly brisk stop and stay hard on the brakes until you're standing right at the front wheel. When they then let off the brake at your command, does the wheel rebound forward? I used this to find loose(!!) upper suspension bolts on a friend's brand new Suburban when the dealer could not diagnose a wander. He'd stop next to me, then let off and the tire/wheel would rebound a couple inches. Two of the 3 bolts were not touching and the third was finger tight.

These may seem kinda unlikely to find anything, but I'd do them at your stage.

Finally, I'd measure the wheelbase on each side using the forward lips of the wheels as your points. This may also reveal something.

DougM

7. Hoosier Daddy

Media:
    Thank you for your reply Doug. You're a class act. :beer:

I'll see what I can do re: carrying out your suggestions.

8. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    would i be correct that this problem predates the new knuckle and wheel bearings or how have you eliminated them?

i think I would just replace the other rod ends mysel as PM. having one disintegrate on you is not a good sign for the others as they have been subjected to the same road conditions and the leaky boot on the DS could spell trouble.

9. Hoosier Daddy

Media:

Re: bearings, that is correct.

Re: replacing the ends - point taken. Cost of new ends and redoing the alignment is not insignificant, however. I think I may try thr SLee ends.

10. smokethedog

smokethedog

hoosierdaddy,
    Did you ever figure how to fix this? My LC does the same thing, only slightly, enough to be annoying though.
    smokethedog

11. locrwln1

locrwln1

I would caution against assuming that anything is wrong by following your truck down the road to see if it is "tracking" straight. Most vehicles (not saying that
    80's are) are set up with a wider front track (axle width) than the rear. This is done for better cornering/tracking during turns. The most visually apparent version are the '73-'87 Chevy pickups. The front axle is 3" wider than the rear axle, so when you see them driving down the road the optical illusion is that the truck is "bent". jmho.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.