tie rod end (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

metalonmetal

Rebuilding
Threads
77 fj40, stock steering

i'm taking turns, doesn't matter which way, and i get this clunk sound when i'm just going into the turn and then again when i'm coming outta the turn. i took a look at the tie rod and on the passenger, the tie rod end with the eye looks worn out. the bushing's cracked and it's not holding the grease. could this be causing the noise? it seems to make more sounds when it's wet or been raining overnight. am i way off? is it something completely different?

any help would be appreciated

i think its suspension, mine does it to. turn back and forth and have someone watch your springs. mine "pop" back and forth i think due to worn bushings.

It very easily could be caused by worn tie rod ends, those and every other moving part in your steering and suspension. Do you have stock steering, power steering? Do like staplebus said, have someone move the steering wheel back and forth some while you watch every joint and gearbox arm to see if any of them have excessive play. They probably shouldn't really have any play at all. Then as staplebus mentioned about your suspension, check all the shackles, shackle bolts/nuts and bushings.

Pretty much have to crawl around and take a good look at all the parts if you want to find what's causing the problems.

:beer:

ya it's stock steering, i haven't been able to find anything out of the ordinary except for the one worn out tre boot.

thanks for the input, all the suspension is going to be replaced at the end of the month anyways.

Have somebody else turn the wheel while you watch the steering rods. I'll lay odds that the relay rod is rotating the main steering rod back and forth and that is the clunking noise you are hearing.

Change your tie rod ends.

:)

My center arm/bell crank made a clunking noise when it was bad. Same advice as the others.....lay under there and have someone crank the wheel around and look for play at all the ends. Center arm should move flat from side to side. Easy fix though......replace TRE's and Rebuild Center Arm.

my tie rod ends are on the way, i'll install them and see if that fixes the problem before tearing the center arm apart.

I heard that it could also be the steering box. I kinda hope so, since I just bought a good used one and plan on replacing it over the weekend. My 40 creaks and pops when turning too. Sometime the 40 could continue going straight, even though I have turned the wheel to go into another direction.

ah i dont' have a problem with steering really, it's just the clunking that it's making when i'm turning. but the only time i've touched the steering box is to top it up.

have you ever considered those 80 tie rod ends? i heard that you can use them on an 40 and there pretty beefy, don't know anything more... i'll try en get back to you unless someone else knows..

I had a similiar pop that you did. I found out that the second spring(second longest) would move left and right depending on which way the steering was moved. If I moved in small increments left and right it would not pop, but at a certain point the springs would release and move. This was with new Old Man Emu springs on. I hope this helps.

Thanks
Scott

i think i'm still running the stock leafs. no lift right now, will be 4" higher by the end of the month

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom