Tie Rod End Stuck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question is: I managed to take out the Tie rod end from the bottom control arm that goes under the Birfs. Now unscrewing it from the "bar that goes across the vehicle and connects two of the together" that is the problem! Should i use torch? Vise grip? Thanks (sorry for lack of mechanical terms, not my first language)

Lots and lots of pb blaster a good bench vise and a large pipe wrench and maybe some heat as well
I never got mine out and just bought a whole new heavy duty tie rod from budbuilt

If you plan on replacing it use a propane torch and BFH or a air chisel with a blunt tip.

Edit. Didn't realize you had it out. Like poster above PB blaster, wrenches and use heat. I had to heat up alot of the bolts on my suspension to remove them. It's a west coast model with minor rust.

I couldn't get mine out either, so I bought a new OEM one.

Keep in mind that one end has right hand threads and had left hand threads.

I used a bit of heat and two good pipe wrenches. Worked for me.

Kalawang

If you cant get them out and have to buy a new tierod
Dont buy the OEM one
I dont know how you use the truck but you can buy a nice heavy duty one for about the same price as OEM
I assume you have the new tie rod ends already.

So take out the tie rod, put it in the vice grip. Some BP Blaster (penetrating oil), let it sit for some time, Then Torch the hell out of the threads and the rod itself at its ends. Then a nice size pipe wrench and each side is theaded differently? Anything else?

So take out the tie rod, put it in the vice grip. Some BP Blaster (penetrating oil), let it sit for some time, Then Torch the **** out of the threads and the rod itself at its ends. Then a nice size pipe wrench and each side is theaded differently? Anything else?

Don't Heat the threads, remember one is left and one is right. Try to heat up JUST THE TIE ROD (connecting bar) not the ends, the metal will expand and two good pipe wrenches should take it out, pen oil helps to but will mostly get burnt off once you get the torch to it.

I use heat,pb blaster and a 3 foot long pipe wrench. Mike

People always mention that one end is right-hand and the other is left-hand threads, but no one ever remembers which one is which....:)

My techinique is to set the rod in the vice, and then clamp one pipe wrench to the rod and another to the TRE. And then if need be, throw a 1-2' piece of steel tubing to get even more leverage. Then twist each wrench in opposite directions until it moves a bit, and then treat with more fluid and heat, and try again.

By now you could have ordered a new one and have it installed already

Haha, yea i was busy with working on other parts of the truck, plus i dont want to spend money on a new tie rod as my shop can install the ones i have for the same price into the existing tie rod, i also dont know where to buy a new tie rod from. but thanks everyone for replies

U.S. drivers side (left) is the backwards threads. Wonder if that switches for right hand drive?

When I replaced all 4 of my ends, one came out by hand, the others required two good pipe wrenches about 2 feet long and some heating and beating, but they came out and the rods were not messed up. Lots of anti-sieze on the re-install.

That would be tricky.... How do you heat the bar and not the threads? They are basically one integrated piece at this point....

If you have ever used a cutting torch on something similar (one piece of metal inside another) you would have seen that the heat transfer is not uniform to each piece. If you heat up the outside of the bar and keep the heat away from the tie rod end itself the thermal expansion of the bar will seperate it from the tie rod end. YES some heat will transfer to the tie rod end (don't grab it with your hands or something stupid) but oxidation(rust) between the pieces will not transfer heat as well as strait steel. The idea is to expand the bar and NOT THE TIE ROD END.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom