Tie Rod End Replacement Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the middle of a tie rod replacement (Never done this before) and read up on as many threads as possible. I took the old Tie Rod ends off... which was quite a battle now on to replacing the the new ends. From what I read, I should count the threads of the old tie rod ends and use that as the guide for the new ones. When I screwed the new threads in my distances were quite different than what is mentioned in the FSM. The distance on the drag link should be 33.15" and the tie rod should be 47.44". My numbers 32 7/8" and 49 7/8".

Since I have no experience on this subject should I go with the FSM or the thread count from the previous tie rod and drag link ends? A little background, I went with the 555 brand kit from CO, I am planning in the next couple weeks doing a OME suspension,new tires (33's or 31's from stock), and having an alignment done. This cruiser is relatively new to me and has needed quite a bit of work... so I never had a great baseline on it.

Thanks for you thoughts and helping a newbie out!

IMG_0824.jpg

Are you looking at a 60 manual? Should be 49.9" and 39.4" by my fj62 manual.

Your manual shows 40 series at the top of the page.. ;)

It is the 1980 manual. I have a 1984 fj60. I'm pretty sure I am looking at the right section... although this wouldn't entirely be unheard of me to look at the wrong model :)

I just counted the threads when I did this and then went to Les Schwab for a full alignment (worth $98). Wasn't too far off by counting the threads.

The measurement in the FSM will get you close enough for an alignment. I wouldn’t stress too much about counting threads cause chances are that the aftermarket part is different

Also you can do your own alignment pretty easy. First time I did mine then took it to a place they said I was only 1/4" off. Not really worth it IMO. It is in the FAQ section at the top of the main 60 series page.

Maybe too late here but if you haven't put some anti-seize on the threads of the new ends you'll do yourself a favor putting some on for easier adjustments/replacements for next time. Hopefully you put some paint on the new ends. They will start to rust pretty quick without a coating of paint on them. The CO 555 ends are pre-greased but you can replace the little cap with a zerk to allow you to add additional grease later if you want. Don't forget to adjust the adjustment screw on the relay rod/drag link ends. Crank down on the slotted end till it's tight. Back off 1/2 turn. HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom