tie rod end question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello all,

question, I need to replace my tie rod ends on my 73. I hope to do a saginaw ps next year. Can't swing the expense right now. Will I need to replace the tie rods again when I upgrade to PSteering.

sorry for the poor typing,grammar, I spilled my red bull all over my board and it seems to now have a mind of its own.

thanxs, Tim

You can use those tie rods and ends with the Saginaw conversion. You will need to get a different drag link to go between the tie rod and the pitman arm on the steering gear, but you will be able to re-use the Toyota piece on one end, and just pick up the Jeep piece for the pitman arm end of the drag link.

:beer:

You can use those tie rods and ends with the Saginaw conversion. You will need to get a different drag link to go between the tie rod and the pitman arm on the steering gear, but you will be able to re-use the Toyota piece on one end, and just pick up the Jeep piece for the pitman arm end of the drag link.

POSER,
:beer:
PERFECT, THAT'S WHAT I WAS HOPING FOR.

TIM

I need to understand this also...

So on a Sag PS install, the stock tie rod can be used, but a different drag link needs to be installed, with a different tie rod end that attachs that drag link to the new pitman arm?

What drag link & pitman arm are commonly used for this? Is there a problem with installing a Toyota tie rod end on a Jeep drag link (metric v. standard threading)?

Thanks

you may be able to ream one out toyota size. you can get jeep ones that have small holes in the pitman arm and then ream it to your needs.

I just bought a set of tre from sor for 115 beans, not bad. parts were excellent quality. I've ordered several ones from napa, advance and auto zone. I told them all to send then back, they were crap. Korean made s*** with no grease fittings poor boot quality and poor thread quality. I did see MAF had a tre kit on sale for 69.00 bucks. looks like the same brand I bought from sor for 35 bucks less. As far as tie rods call Bud at Budbuilt 828-433-1489, his stuff is heavy duty and make the factory rods look like toothpicks, Not to mention his prices are better than any company around that sell OEM or HD tierods. Tell him you want the tie rod (70.00 bucks) from wheel to wheel and the relay rod from wheel to center arm (70 bucks). if you are definitely going to go saginaw then try and reuse you relay rod if it is not bent, then call bud up before you go saginaw and he can send you a rod cut to the right length and threaded for a gm or jeep tre. GL Ken

When I did my saginaw conversion everything remained stock on the tie rod. The drag link had to be cut shorter at the box end. I took it to a machine shop and had them tap it for a stock CJ7 TRE thread to connect to the pitman arm(which were left hand thread IIRC, cause I had a hard time finding a place with the right tap) and cut a slot for the clamp to work. I'll be ordering a bud built replacement set up very soon as I bent all my junk up recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom