Tie Rod End Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need TRE's for the 73 and want to know which ones to avoid? SOR, JT, CCOT has them on sale for around 70 bux but they are not factory which doesn't bother me any. I heard some people were having problems with theirs and want to avoid the same issue.

Kevin

What kind of problems are people having with there non oem tre's?

I am expecting delivery of a set from CCOT tomorrow.

There's a couple of threads out there if you search. One of the complaints was that the non-OEM ones (there's a brand name) get a bunc of surface rust on them. The boots also can be pretty crappy.

There's also some other info on getting the tie-rods with the ends, I guess the price is pretty much the same.

Anyway, I was doing some reading - that's the hightlights I recall...

Rocky

Oh ok, as long as there not snapping off when I'm driving down the road I can deal with the lousey boots and rust.

I didn't do a search on the subject because it seemed like such a simple common part.

Guess it pays to research everything.

Thanks .

just to let you know, i have the 555 ones from CCOT. i bought them about 3 or 4 years back and have had none of the problems that some have had. my boots are still in great shape and no rust problems. still drives great and handle's 35's just fine and i daily drove it for about 3 years, now its more of a toy.

If you read CCOT's ad it says their TRE's are now "hardened" . and you get an extra pair of boots if you order now.... I'm going to give them a shot...

projektdotnet said:
the problem i had is the two on the pass side don't mate right and so I can't fit the cotter pin into that one. I just check tension daily for now oh how I can't wait to replace. And yes I get the rust but the boots are fine.

Sounds like you might have mixed up the ends... the one from the drag link to the TRE needs to be a long-shank, there is one that looks very similar that has a short-shank, it is supposed to be at the center arm. Easy fix... ;)

cruiseroutfit said:
Sounds like you might have mixed up the ends... the one from the drag link to the TRE needs to be a long-shank, there is one that looks very similar that has a short-shank, it is supposed to be at the center arm. Easy fix... ;)
boy i feel stupid now...doesn't matter cause right now i'm not driving it and next week it's getting the SOA/Marlin Crawler Crossover :D :cheers: i'll remember that thanks again Kurt

I bought the CCOT tres and they came with an extra set of boots. Within 6 months the boots rotted off. Looked like sun rot, but my cruiser is parked in a heated garage most of the time. There was no "special" at the time I ordered and I thought it strange that "extra boots" were included. I was changing out my whole front axle anyway so it was no a big deal, but changing boots is...if you haven't noticed....as big a PITA as changing out the whole deal, well, almost.

Caveat Emptor....maybe they just got a "bad batch":confused:

Ed

OH DAMN, I just got mine in Friday, extra boots and all,

Get the entire set from BTB. All are stock Toyota and are much thicker than stock. Unfortunatly you have to buy the tie rod arms as well, but the entire package is very nice and stout.

Sorry for plugging BTB all the time. Their're a PITA to deal with becasue they have a chip on their shoulder.. I think its becuase they build $100,000 curisers, but they do have nice products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom