Tie Rod End For Saginaw PS Gearbox. (1 Viewer)

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."

Hi All:

As I noted in my trail report last week, I broke the tie rod end at the pitman arm on my FJ40. The spare I had along is too short for the application, so the steering radius is now reduced a noticeable amount.

Background: FJ40 with a Saginaw PS swap, using the PS gearbox from a '69 Chevelle (and the pitman arm that came on the 'box.) Also using the custom relay rod sold by BTB Products, that features a threaded metric end and a threaded SAE end.

I'm having a difficult time sourcing a replacement tie rod end. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a part number or an application to refer to at the parts store?

Thanks for any help!

Alan
Seattle

I'd call TPI and ask. The web site is not very good. I think you need PNs TPS43 (TRE) and TPS44 (TR). Their number is 615-826-8854. (No affiliation BTW).

I had my Pitman arm filled, drilled, and tapered for a standard ('80s?) GM TRE.

Seems like the issue I had was my Pitman arm fit all those '70s style TREs with 12" of shaft on them. When I went to a newer TRE with a more standard 2-3" shaft the taper was different. Not sure if this fits your application. I could look for a TRE part # if you like. It's in a big box of receipts that I hesitate to look at; reminds too much of why I keep going to work in the morning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom