Tie Rod End bolt only goes in half way. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well after pulling my 3rd members back in, installing ARBS front and rear, and adding new gears. The bolt on the front tie rod end doesn't seem to want to go in all the way, half way up it stops and the tie rod starts to spin while I tighten it. Does anybody have a suggestion on how I can stop the tie rod from spinning when I tighten the bolt.

Victor,

Are you talking about the actual tie-rod end - that fits into the tie-rod (right / left handed threads), or where it attaches to the knuckle arm?

Or are you talking about the tie rod "retaining band / strap"?

Joe

Make sure the taper is clean and try hitting the back with a mallet

Big_Moose said:
Victor,

Are you talking about the actual tie-rod end - that fits into the tie-rod (right / left handed threads), or where it attaches to the knuckle arm?

Or are you talking about the tie rod "retaining band / strap"?

Joe

I'm talking about the actual tie-rod end that fits into the knuckle arm. For some reason the nut just goes in half way. I'm thinking maybe I should just re thread it.

Victor,

Make sure that the TRE taper is clean, and is seated inside the knuckle arm taper. If the taper is fitted correctly, and IF the TRE is spinning while you are trying to tighten the nut -> then the TRE itself is broken.

If the TRE shaft (w/taper) moves / rotates - then the inner bearing / race cup is broken and you need a new TRE. This is a good time to picuk-up the heavy duty Tierod and / or relay rod from Christo or Marlin.
Its also a SAFETY issue, which should not be overlooked, and is better to replace than fix. Marlin & CDan, sell the 80 TRE individually ~ $25.00 bucks

Joe

Moose is on it.
if it is minor spinning and you need to limp it for a few days till the really nice tre set comes in from christo then use a c clamp and some deep dish sockets to help it seat. you can limp out of the driveway this way but I would not recommend driving it like that.
pretty sure Ben has some of the tres in stock now but give him a call. I like mine as much as I like the heavy duty drag link and relay rod that came from Ben at slee as well.
Dave

Big_Moose said:
Victor,

Make sure that the TRE taper is clean, and is seated inside the knuckle arm taper. If the taper is fitted correctly, and IF the TRE is spinning while you are trying to tighten the nut -> then the TRE itself is broken.

If the TRE shaft (w/taper) moves / rotates - then the inner bearing / race cup is broken and you need a new TRE. This is a good time to picuk-up the heavy duty Tierod and / or relay rod from Christo or Marlin.
Its also a SAFETY issue, which should not be overlooked, and is better to replace than fix. Marlin & CDan, sell the 80 TRE individually ~ $25.00 bucks

Joe

Is this the set you are talking about?

5bz8dw

I thought the spinning was normal? its a ball in there, why would it not spin? I had the same problem on all my TRE's, until you get the taper to grap they just spin. they all seam tight no noticable play.

I had this problem when reinstalling the TRE after my birf job. Like mentioned about... clean it good, give it a few smart taps to seat it in the knuckle arm end, and then bolt her on up.

Big_Moose said:
IF the TRE is spinning while you are trying to tighten the nut -> then the TRE itself is broken.

Joe

:confused:

the shaft is suppose to rotate inside the TRE as part of its normal function of turning the frotn wheels. am I mis reading you?

Well it seems that the TRE is okay, except for the threads. Would you guys replace it or not?

depends on how bad the threads are damaged, if just minor damage at the tip then fix it with a die or thread file, if it is damaged in the portion the nut uses when seated I would replace, probably as a set if original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom