tie rod and relay rod help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 78 fj40 with a 2.5 lift. Every once in a while during compression of the front end the rod end from the center arm hits the tie rod. At rest it looks like it has - 2mm of clearance. I just use it for moderate stuff but I wonder what damage the rod end will do to the tie rod Anyone have any ideas of what might be wrong, or what I can do.
I will take pics tomorrow, I just need to learn how to post. Thanks Bill

I looked at the pictures and I don't see the rod end hitting anything. Nice cruiser though.

i think that you will find that the c-clamp on the relay rod is hitting the OME Steering Stablizer. I had a the same thing happen to me just turn the clamp so that they are facing down and not off to one side.

pics

Yeah the pics aren't the best. I was thinking that when the springs compress the shackle allows the forward movement of the tie rod against the fixed postion of the rod from the center arm to the axle. It really only has just a hair or neg clearance if both pieces were to stay in place front to back and just move up or down. Thanks for the reply, I will try to cycle it and see what gives. Bill
'

new pics

If you look at the new pics you can see with just a little flex I am hitting the tie rod and the center arm end. The clamp and stabilizer are ok. I will try to post them here but so far no luck. They can be accessed from the link to my yahoo docs. Thanks Bill pics 005-1 006-1 show what I am talking about.
http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/mobiltoy@sbcglobal.net

Last edited:
no go on the pictures.

to post them- right click on the image, go to properties, copy the image location, in your post on 'mud click on the mountain looking icon button, and paste image location in that text box. That will link directly to the pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom