Ticking sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So while driving at about anything above 50 a ticking sound appears like it’s coming from the front of the cruiser. It’s not the u joints because I have removed each driveshaft and then tested and it’s still there. The tick speeds up the faster I go. Any ideas or similar experience? I have a video but not sure how to post it.

Thanks

Matt

It might be a bit important to provide some more information like what year vehicle, how long has the problem been observed, any recent repairs. Your video was absolutely worthless.

1995 80 series. Yes the video is worthless. The audio is what I was trying to provide. So no the video isn’t worthless. Thanks for your reply. . It just began. No recent work done

Try a video with window closed, that helps.. the mic is very sensitive.

Is it repreatable at a certain time that range
Does it do it both on Accel or coast above 50?
What about while it's doing it shifting to neutral
Ac on?
Are you brake shields clear of debris
How's the exhaust?
Play in wheel bearings?
Brakes tight?

It does it regardless of brake or accel. As long as I’m above 50 mph. Brake shields are clear of debris. Have not inspected the exhaust. Checked the wheel by lifting off ground and shaking. No play. Brakes appear to be in good working order. Below is video with window rolled up.

Yes they are in good shape. That was the first thing I suspected. When I was testing with a driveshaft removed I degreased both of them and replaced one u joint. Problem still remained

Did it make the sound when you just revved the engine?

Left side and right side. So it looks like the axle seal is leaking on left. Nothing on the right in second pic. What would cause the tick in this wheel hub assembly. If a bearing was shot would it not be a whirring sound?

CB23C0D2-5806-4582-8D69-2E341D77E127.jpeg
1A67C28B-9CB9-4ED7-A3B1-B2C14F8C7EF0.jpeg

Maybe you're axle alignment tab inside the axle tube broke loose and took the seal out?

I can't hear the 'tick' on the video. Too much wind noise and can't discern it.

Definitely yank and pull and inspect the exhaust.

I can’t take all the credit for the find. Another mudder @sethzilla helped out. He came over and was perplexed as I until he made a call and we were pointed in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom