Ticking Sound Coming From Motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 96 1FZ and I’m trying to chase down this ticking sound. Is it anything to be concerned with? No loss of power, I do think I’m due for some new pulleys and belts. As well as an oil change with thicker oil.

Head gasket, head deck, and valve seals were replaced in 2020.

Sounds better than mine

Sounds exactly like mine has sounded the last 220,000 miles since 1994 and I was worried something was set wrong at the factory. :)

Joke aside I just changed my power steering pump and really would like to hear what the misplaced gear clicking sounds like.

Last edited:
Loose valves? If the seals were in fact replaced, I would assume a 'while you're in there' item would have been a valve adjustment. That being said, these motors require more adjustment PM than most vehicles (EDIT: at least on the 3FE). How many miles since that work was done?

Thanks for all the help everyone, seems like I'm just paranoid coming from the BMW world. Where you're always worried about a spun bearing or an issue with VANOS.

Dude, fix this. It's driving me crazy from all the way over here.
Screenshot_20220405-194109.jpg

Maybe fix your noise, too!

sounds normal to me, id be more concerned if I didnt hear the 'tappet' sound which would indicate tight tolerances

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom