Ticking noise 3fe 91 LC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a ticking noise on cold start and louder when accelerating/ in gear. Had my valve adjustment done not long ago by a shop ( maybe a month or two ago.) Its more noticeable somedays and sometimes less loud on others, which I think is wierd.
Only thing I can think of is exhaust manifold leak?
Its desmoged (no EGR)
Ticking noise is coming from engine bay not under car.
What are your thoughts on what it could be?

You're asking for a remote diagnosis of a noise we can't hear on an engine that sounds like ball bearings in a blender when it's running well.
I suggest doing some poking around under the hood and try to localize it. A piece of garden hose held up to your ear will work.

I've got the exact same situation on my '91 3FE - valves done a few months ago, EGR delete, definitely coming from engine bay, sounds like right in front of me in the driver's seat.

Recently had a guy fab me an exhaust section coming off the Y pipe, re hang, remove some rattling shielding and replaced some bushing or something under there he said would help with the noise. The ticking persists after that job but I was more concerned with the fat hole in the pipe that made it sound like the truck was farting down the road.

My ticking is also more apparent on some days, and on others not there at all, and goes away sometimes completely when the truck heats up which I've been told is a telltale sign of exhaust-part-metal-stuff expanding with heat.

Curious to see what others think if you can provide info with the ghetto stethoscope that Jon recommends.

Funny my 3FE 126k miles also has that click. It is completely stock. I just had the values adjusted and all new seals including rear main. My tech said that these engines are noisy by nature. He also noted that is is a 30 year old motor so they get louder as time goes on. It runs fine and seems to not to be getting louder so I am just going to run it. I just put around with it anyway.

My 91 3FE had the same problem on start up, ever since I bought it 3 years ago from the PO, who abused her. Watched Scotty K. On YT talk about Chevrn Supreme 91 octane gas having 7 times the cleaning agents as regular gas. Filled up the tank with C S 91 changed the oil and it went away within half a tank. It never came back and im never switching To another gas. Ran 91 before so it wasnt pinging and changed the oil ~6 times before. Ur probably looking at valve stick when its cold. Thats my theory

My 91 3FE had the same problem on start up, ever since I bought it 3 years ago from the PO, who abused her. Watched Scotty K. On YT talk about Chevrn Supreme 91 octane gas having 7 times the cleaning agents as regular gas. Filled up the tank with C S 91 changed the oil and it went away within half a tank. It never came back and im never switching To another gas. Ran 91 before so it wasnt pinging and changed the oil ~6 times before. Ur probably looking at valve stick when its cold. Thats my theory
There is no benefit to running higher than 87 octane in a tractor motor. Higher octane levels reduce pre-detonation in high compression/forced induction motors.

There is no benefit to running higher than 87 octane in a tractor motor. Higher octane levels reduce pre-detonation in high compression/forced induction motors.
Agreed if ur running stock 7 degrees timing. And if ur not expect to drink more gas. My point was that Chvron Supreme has 7 times the cleaning agents as regular gas and stopped valve stick at start up. If you dont want to put that gas in then use fuel system cleaners regularly. just be carful of the small manufactures of snake oil. I go with big brands that have teams of chemists on board. I think the ticking ur hearing is the smacking of the rocker arm on top of the valve stems, causing mushrooming and elongation, when its cold outside and cold/gummy at the interface of the valve seat. My 3fe doesnt purr like a kitten 256k but at least she doesnt knock and ping at start up anymore. A couple of bottles aint gonna hurt ur wallet vs a mechanic. by the way i did adjust my valves before I used the cleaner. Watch Scotty on youtube 45+ years of mechanic experience. He’s funny too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom