ticking/exhaust crack: how long before implosion? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
I am curious about the common crack in the exhaust and the ticking that is associated with it. The impression I have developed over the years here is that it ends up being a minor annoyance with the ticking noise, but that the cracks do not necessarily turn into a major problem or get much worse over time. Is that correct, surprising as it sounds? Or if not, how long does it typically take before the situation requires immediate intervention, and / or action is needed to avoid further damage, perhaps more serious?

ticking/exhaust crack: how long before implosion?

I think implosion is a pretty caustic word that's going to scare folks. There's nothing with a leak at the exhaust manifold that's going to be catastrophic. The biggest issue is will cause is problems downstream at the cats and the O2 sensors. With some of the exhaust gas leaking out before those sensors, the ECU won't get a true picture of the truck's emissions.

The cracks are a result of the metal structure relieving tension. That process will continue with the heat/cool cycles and may even be accelerated by the oxidation and heat escaping through the crack. My experience has always been that they grow over time. Could be just that once you hear it you get sensitive to the noise and it seems to get worse as the days go on. My guess is that winter will cause more nighttime contraction so start up tick will be noticeably worse in the upcoming months.

As far as consequences other than noise, I've read that they can let air into the exhaust and trick the O2 sensors into running a more rich mixture to compensate. Don't know if that's true or no.

Well I have had my ticking for almost 100k miles. It hasn't gotten worse, as far as the noise is concerned. It doesn't both me as it goes away quickly after start up (at least for now). I too wondered about eventual failure. And I do get very crappy gas mileage - around 12 mpg.

so, no structural issues then, as in the crack(s) getting bigger and things breaking off?

And are there any indications that these cracks do lead to smog test problems?

No, you have to relace it straight away with the DT headers and cat back exhaust, stainless steel mandrel bend.......

:grinpimp:

Mine has gotten worse, if I put my head by the driver wheel it sounds like a diesel. It's gotten VERY loud. I can hear it with the windows up leaving a stop sign. DT's are on the way soon.

It's rather embarrassing really, emitting sounds that should be expected from a 25 year old Oldsmobile, not a luxury cruiser. If only Mr. T would concede that this is a problem that needs to be rectified.

any info on smog test issues?

any info on smog test issues?

mine tick plenty but passed Colorado emissions without issue... well below limits.

but the sound is annoying.

I wonder if some muffler repair tape in the right spot would work?

Where on the header does it typically leak?

I wonder if some muffler repair tape in the right spot would work?

Why make it look ghetto with tape when you could purchase shiny new DT headers? Hearing about everybody with the tick makes me wonder how mine doesn't tick.

Why make it look ghetto with tape when you could purchase shiny new DT headers? Hearing about everybody with the tick makes me wonder how mine doesn't tick.

I could smack on a sticker that says "if you can see this header repair tape, roll me over and put my skid back on"

Why make it look ghetto with tape when you could purchase shiny new DT headers? snip

well, for one thing, there are apparently states where you can't modify the exhaust with non-OEM hardware if you want to pass smog.

Some cracked, some did not. The last 100 Series rolled off the production line in 2007, a warranty or fix from Toyota is long gone

Some cracked, some did not. The last 100 Series rolled off the production line in 2007, a warranty or fix from Toyota is long gone

I thought emissions components carried a 10 yr warranty?

exhaust components is a lifetime (muffler, cats, etc) on their smaller vehicles IIRC. I wish I had known about the warranty in 2010! That would of been nice!

Here is a script from Toyota:

Which parts does Toyota cover under the Lifetime Guarantee?
The Lifetime Guarantee covers Genuine Toyota mufflers, exhaust pipes, shock absorbers and strut or strut cartridges installed at Toyota dealerships.

If you pay 100 percent of the parts and labor expense for the installation of a part covered by Lifetime Guarantee, and under normal driving conditions the part fails, bring your vehicle back to an authorized Toyota dealership and the lifetime part will be replaced at no charge. The Lifetime Guarantee remains in force as long as you own the vehicle. The only requirement for this lifetime part replacement is a copy of the original service repair order as proof of purchase.

When you need to install a muffler, exhaust pipe, shock absorber, strut or strut cartridge on your Toyota vehicle, look for the commitment that stands behind them.

*So if I can find the paperwork for the manifold replacement back in 2005, am I still under warranty?

Sounds like a farm truck backing up. Always made us laugh. DT headers are very nice and smooth out the revs.

I recently had a cat replaced under Toyotas emissions warranty. IIRC they told me it was a 7 year 80,000 mile warranty. It's a 2006 and I am not the original owner (currently has 48,000 miles). Maybe sine I'm not the original owner is why it's not a lifetime warranty.

The Lifetime Guarantee covers Genuine Toyota mufflers, exhaust pipes, shock absorbers and strut or strut cartridges installed at Toyota dealerships.
*So if I can find the paperwork for the manifold replacement back in 2005, am I still under warranty?
I'm not so sure "exhaust pipe" means "exhaust manifold" in Toyota legal lingo. Ask first, then go digging for the paperwork.

I would like to see one of the defective manifolds that has been removed and the exact failure point shown so I can see where it leaks from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom