Ticking/dripping sound near rear axle. Where to start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It’s not every single time I drive but it is a decent amount. After turning the LX off after driving it, there will be a rapid ticking sound like something is dropping on the exhaust. Nothing falls to the ground.

Oil level is normal and hasn’t changed. The coolant on the dash stays exactly as it’s always been. In the Trevor, it’s on the lower side but is staying consistent so far.

Sound will stop after about 1 minute.

Hopefully video works here:

Sounds like hot exhaust rapidly cooling to me
That would be a big relief. Ha. Want to get modding. Got this LX from a guy who did most of the fluids.... get this... at Jiff Lube. Ha. So I've been on an adventure of getting the fluids changed to where I know they are at and by myself or reputable mechanics.

It does sound like a hot exhaust cooling off, but that seems quite excessive for the amount of noise it’s making. It’s probably not going to harm anything though… just a minor annoyance.

(Complete speculation) Are you running the AC on the vehicle before shutting it off? I’m wondering if this is condensation coming from your AC system that’s falling on the hot exhaust. I would do a test run by getting the vehicle warmed up without the AC on and see if it’s still doing it.

It could also be some part of your exhaust system is torqued down in a weird way which is causing the cooling exhaust to contract and make the excessive sound.

Last edited:
Yea that's heat expansion/contraction. Totally normal.

It does sound like a hot exhaust cooling off, but that seems quite excessive for the amount of noise it’s making. It’s probably not going to harm anything though… just a minor annoyance.

(Complete speculation) Are you running the AC on the vehicle before shutting it off? I’m wondering if this is condensation coming from your AC system that’s falling on the hot exhaust. I would do a test run by getting the vehicle warmed up without the AC on and see if it’s still doing it.

It could also be some part of your exhaust system is torqued down in a weird way which is causing the cooling exhaust to contract and make the excessive sound.
I hadn’t thought about AC but I’ll give it a shot. I just leave it in auto and fairly cool since it’s SoCal. Will report back!

Same on mine. 2021 HE. It is kinda odd. Any factual info that it is the heat expansion/contraction?

Same on mine. 2021 HE. It is kinda odd. Any factual info that it is the heat expansion/contraction?
I'm wondering if it's the AC drain pipe falling onto the transmission and that's why it does that. I have confirmed the AC drain pipe does fall onto the transmission, I just can't confirm the location of where that happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom