Thwack underside? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1987 FJ60: when I pull away in first gear I hear a thwack sound on the underside near the firewall or tranny tunnel. Do not hear it in any other shifts up or down shifts. Just pulling out in 1st. Only happens once as you pull out. Not super loud, I checked trans and engine mounts, all good. No other vibrations or issues. Any other thoughts/leads? Thank you.

It’s almost impossible to detect a torn driver’s side motor mount just by looking at it. The rubber pad can be sheared in half but look perfectly normal with the weight of the engine on it.
If the mount is torn, you’ll get a strange sound at take off in 1st gear but none of the other gears

Sometimes you need to jack up the trans a bit [and jack up the engine for the engine mount] to check the mounts are really ok. Could it be the exhaust hitting something?

Last edited:
Thanks @OSS and @pithicus I did the visual, but you are right on them not being easy to tell from just looking. I replaced them a couple years ago, who knows maybe one sheered again. Thanks for the reminder and expert insights!

Just closing the loop on this @OSS and @pithicus thanks for your thoughts. What I found was way more trivial so I thought I would share.

It was a heater flap that had the cable disconnected. When I pulled out in first gear it would swing open/closed and make the thwack sound!

Anyone know how the cable stays on the door lever? Mine must have come off. First photo shows the arm that controls the door. The second photo is the area where the cable goes into underneath bottom of air con below the dash near the shift boots. Any thoughts?

Again, thanks for the input, always a great community.

522DD84D-7CB0-4336-99A1-1B5D827F0ACC.jpeg

BAB34CAA-B347-47AE-BE65-74805656191B.jpeg

That's a good outcome! Looking at my 60 wreck, the cable just sits there without any retainer clip. The clip that secures the cable further back should provide enough spring pressure to keep the cable on .
[the clip further back may be loose/broken]

Last edited:
@pithicus Yes, pretty lucky!
Ah, I see the cleverness of the design. Need to make sure line is in the clip. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom