Thump thump crunch bang (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been working out bugs on this thing for some time now and one concern I've had is how much thumping and banging I have coming from what I believe to be the suspension. Brief summary. 1978 FJ-40, older BDS lift springs (torn down rebushed), new bushings for the shackles and such. 4" lift with confer shackels, shimmed front and rear, with a CV joint added to the shaft (seems to be right length!). All new ball joints and steering components. Old shocks. Rancho maybe. New motor mounts several years ago with few miles.

Noises seem to eminate from under the drivers floor. (loose rear motor mount???) and from the rear of the truck. I can see some minor signs of toe out on the rear perches but its not substantial. I know there has been some frame repair at the front rear perches it appears to be in front of the spring mounts in the inner channel. I'm planning a tub swap within a month or two and had been offered another frame. I don't want to swap them both out as its too much time and money to do both right now.

Any thoughts here guys? Please lie to me and tell me its the crappy springs!!! I've got an OME spring set for the front and will be replacing soon as I need to gather funds for the 4+ flip kit up there first. Thanks so much for your input and advice.

Oh yeah, I've got a powertrax locker in the rear. But it seems to be pretty quiet. I do experience these noises over bumps and turns under acceleration. I thought to check the shaft length.. what should I have as far as proper length regarding the slip? I'm pretty sure its ok but how do I verify the proper length for my needs. thanks Ken C

Oh yeah, I've got a powertrax locker in the rear. But it seems to be pretty quiet. I do experience these noises over bumps and turns under acceleration. C

It is probably just the normal operation of your locker. It is the kind of noise they make. They are always quiet when you are going straight. Switching back and forth between acceleration and deceleration is guaranteed to make noises in turns. Wait until you are going straight coming out of a turn before you goose the skinny pedal, or slow down before the turn and accelerate all the way through the turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom