Thumbs down for primer pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there.

So far I'm happy with other products I've bought from Roodogs in Oz - but unfortunately not the primer pump. I bought and fitted this in August 07 which is "just yesterday" in terms of how I expect things to last on my cruiser.

Here's a picture of it installed:

primer1.jpg

And here is another picture of it with the original toyota plastic cover. (This is another reason why I liked it - The old cover fitted perfectly.)

primer2.jpg

To be honest, I was wary of it to start with because no brand-name was displayed on either the item itself or the box it came in. (What sort of manufacturer would make an item and then not want to proudly display their brandname on it?) All that was written on the box was "made in Taiwan" as I remember. Also, the copper washer that sits under it was the wrong dimensions so I had to reuse the original Toyota one.

Now I know some people out there will just say: "Serves you right. You should have stuck with OEM." But I don't see it as anywhere near as simple as that. - I have had poor performance from OEM products. (My door mirrors are an example of that - They cost something like $80 each if I remember correctly and the plastic cracked on the corners around the mirror-glass within weeks of putting them on!)

I haven't contacted Roodogs to complain - Because I can seldom be bothered going down that route. (If anyone out there has bought the same product from them and has had no problems with it - Then they should add their "good" experience into this thread to counteract my "bad" experience.)

Oh yes. The problem - Well it drips diesel when I use it!

The reason I had to use it recently is because I've just shifted my fuel filter holder again. I shifted it from the engine to the LH mudguard/fender a long time ago in order to be able to fit cheaper (and more readily-available deeper/higher filters.

But I miscalculated then and it ended up a bit too close to the metal of the guard/fender which made changing the filter still a bit awkward (for the deeper/higher versions).

You can see here how close it was:

touch.jpg

:cheers:
primer2.jpg
touch.jpg
primer1.jpg

Last edited:
Then recently I repainted that guard/fender and on reassembling everything, the filter ended up closer still. :mad: Damn.
(Oops. Actually the photo in my last post is actually with the repainted guard/fender. You just can't get any closer than that without touching!!)

So off came the battery tray support again and a new holder bracket was made and welded to it that holds the filter further away. (Gosh. I really do hate removing items that I've painted/finished to "hack into them" again!!)

Here's the new bracket prior to welding:

bracket.jpg

And here's the filter holder in its final resting place (I surely hope it's final anyway..)

away.jpg

Which all brings me to the purpose of this thread - I want to throw my Roodogs pump in the trash and buy another.

I believe the following primer pumps fit my cruiser:

Bosch 2 447 010 033 (doesn't have screw-down-to-stow feature)

Denso 09219-50

Bosch 2 417 222 125 (Oops - From Tims photo in post 14 below - which I think came from eleblanc - I think this should actually be 2 447 222 125)

So could you please supply the following information in connection with an aftermarket primer pump that you are happy with:
  • photo
  • part number
  • whether it is of the "screw-down-to-stow" type
  • what your experiences are (eg. how long it has been fitted and whether it ever drips diesel)

PS.
Roodogs Taiwan 22501-77020 ($A40) - This is the primer pump that I am giving the "thumbs down" and it was sold to me using a Toyota part number as you can see.
bracket.jpg
away.jpg

Last edited:
I would contact roodogs.He would replace that straight away and hopefully give his supplier a kick in the pants.
Its also an opportunity for us to see how a vendor responds;)

.......I haven't contacted Roodogs to complain - Because I can seldom be bothered going down that route. (If anyone out there has bought the same product from them and has had no problems with it - Then they should add their "good" experience into this thread to counteract my "bad" experience.).....

Why not let them know that it is leaking and you are not happy. From what I hear, they are in the habit of making things right for their customers.

I would contact roodogs.He would replace that straight away and hopefully give his supplier a kick in the pants.
Its also an opportunity for us to see how a vendor responds;)

:hmm::hmm: Hey. I did wonder if I was being fair to Roodogs with my thread title. .....................................But I still think I am.

The following thread of mine represents very positive publicity courtesy of yours truly. (But who's to say anyone puts much weight on my opinion anyway):

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/196560-goodbye-aisin-asco-hello-b-g-f-biggsw.html

So they've just got to take my "bad publicity" with my "good publicity".

And the quote above shows that I've already asked people who've had "good experiences" with their roodogs-supplied primer pumps to come forward.

So why don't I want to complain? Well I see my time as very valuable. (Which may come as a surprise to many who note how long I spend on MUD.) And it is not that the cost of the item was insignificant. Hell - On a bus driver's pay packet - Even a loaf of bread is a significant purchase! But what can they really do for me?
They could of course say it is a "one off problem" and hand me another identical pump. But then if that happened I wouldn't be bothered with fitting it. I believe in learning from my experiences. And as I said before. I consider my time as "very valuable". Fitting an identical pump to one that has just failed my standards is not a thing I do. (I choose to be a "late shift bus driver" because it gives me lotsa time to do what I want. And being on MUD is presently part of that. But continuously replacing primer pumps is not FUN in my books. :D:D)

Or they could refund my money. - But that would only partially reimburse me for my costs and I'm still wasting my valuable time in the process. And I'd feel like I'm forcing their hand. (Refund my money or else I'll badmouth you and your product!)

So I don't feel I'm treating them harshly.

I know Roodogs have got plenty of supporters here and I'd include myself amongst them. I'm about to order replacement glowplugs from them. (Not that there's anything wrong with the old ones. It is just that they've been in there for quite a while and I want to remove them to do "leakdown testing" so why not replace them at the same time?

I see the Internet as being particularly great at enabling people to share their purchasing experiences. And private communications between customers and suppliers often end up in the supplier taking a course of action designed to stop them from receiving adverse publicity rather than correcting a problem. (In other words the person who made the complaint gets satisfied - But the whole process puts other potential purchasers at risk because they don't get alerted to any problem.

No doubt Roodogs read forums like this (performing searches on their trading name) so they are able to try and source a better supplier if they choose to.

And my money I spent on their pump I treat as an "education expense".

Well this phenomenally-long blurb gives you an idea how I think anyway - Even if you don't agree with me.

Ive been using the bosch pump for 6mo + on two different 3B engines now with no problems with leaks etc. I dont have the part number off hand, but the local shop told me there are 4-5 part numbers that all end up being the same item. I dont think bosch makes a screw down type.

Cost was only $20 US.

Ive been using the bosch pump for 6mo + on two different 3B engines now with no problems with leaks etc. I dont have the part number off hand, but the local shop told me there are 4-5 part numbers that all end up being the same item. I dont think bosch makes a screw down type.

Cost was only $20 US.

Thanks Lynchmob. For that price, and considering currency conversion and freight - A Bosch version - even ex USA - wouldn't be much dearer than what I paid for the one from OZ. Can you post a photo?

I thought seeing as though their trading name has been linked with a product that was unsatisfactory,roodogs should be given a chance to make good.

The time it would take to sort it out would be no more than the time you have put into this thread:D

Thats the same pump I have in mine that is currently leaking- and it looks like that is the one I have just ordered from Roodogs to replace it:hmm:

In my limited experience with them- I would certainly contact them. If mine leaks within that time frame- I certainly will be.

I suggest that before you title a post like that you contact Roodogs and let them know what happened - they don't see these posts and you are potentially affecting their business. If you had contacted them and they told you to "piss up a rope" then make a post about it.

There are poor sellers and poor buyers, you are a poor buyer in my opinion. This type of stuff drives me nuts.

Thanks for posting the warning... am in the market for a new primer pump and definitely can't be dealing with another busted one/shipping things all around the planet, etc.

That being said... can't totally disagree with what others are saying about contacting them - mud sticks as they say... saying something bad about a company is supposedly offset by saying 10 good things, not one :). If you bother to read the thread though, it's clear that you have nothing bad to say about their company, only this product. I suppose contacting them might however at least prevent other people from having the same frustration, since they'll probably change the pump they sell...

Thanks Lynchmob. For that price, and considering currency conversion and freight - A Bosch version - even ex USA - wouldn't be much dearer than what I paid for the one from OZ. Can you post a photo?

I use the bosch one too. Very superior to the denso screw in type. No leaks and no need for a cover. As search on here will show a picture and the partnumber.

here is the one.....I think it is the same one I am using.....

not my photo, got it here on Mud and saved it to my desktop for reference....would give credit if I knew who took it.

Tim
primer pump bosch.jpg

I suggest that before you title a post like that you contact Roodogs and let them know what happened - they don't see these posts and you are potentially affecting their business. If you had contacted them and they told you to "piss up a rope" then make a post about it.

There are poor sellers and poor buyers, you are a poor buyer in my opinion. This type of stuff drives me nuts.

Let me guess - You're a "businessman" right?

It is so easy to get one-eyed! Don't you think?

I have to say in reading the whole thread and all of Tom's posts I think he has been decent to the vendor. He never stated they were bums and not giving him customer service. He asked for positive feedback regarding the item in question. I guess if someone reads this thread and based on that alone decides not to buy from Roodogs...well they aren't a good consumer then.

just my misguided opinion....ask anyone they will tell you how misguided it is...:p

Tim

I use the bosch one too. Very superior to the denso screw in type. No leaks and no need for a cover. As search on here will show a picture and the partnumber.

here is the one.....I think it is the same one I am using.....

not my photo, got it here on Mud and saved it to my desktop for reference....would give credit if I knew who took it.

Tim

Thanks folks. That's exactly the kind of advice I was after.

Quality products sell themselves. And it's true that the freedom of information/speech that the Internet provides can make it hard for businesses (including those who make innocent mistakes) who sell items that fall short of the mark.

But the beauty of "the open discussion about products that the Internet allows for" is that ultimately - the producers and marketers of the substandard gear will suffer. And through this - the ordinary person will gain.

So I don't think I've stepped out of line. But I never expected to achieve "full support" for my point of view.

Let's just pretend I've received a full refund of my money then.:D That should keep everyone happy!

Nope, not a business man, but have been - you should try it as it would open your two eyes. I know you didn't say anything to tear down his business but this post can easily be misread and affect a persons business. The way I would do would be to contact the seller and have the situation rectified - then I would make a post discussing a smooth transaction.

I have purchased quite alot from Roodogs and never had a problem, in fact I overpaid for an item by a couple of hundred dollars and he refunded the money before I knew I did it. I am pretty sure they will look after you.

Nope, not a business man, but have been - you should try it as it would open your two eyes. I know you didn't say anything to tear down his business but this post can easily be misread and affect a persons business. The way I would do would be to contact the seller and have the situation rectified - then I would make a post discussing a smooth transaction.

Of course this thread affects his business; if Roodogs so chooses, it could be for the better (if he finds a new pump supplier).

I'm glad that people don't do as you suggest. The fact that a vendor might "make it right" if you ask does nothing for the fact that the pump they're selling is prone to leaks. I, for one, am glad to know this, and even though you're being self righteous, I trust that if you ever are in search of a replacement pump you'll feel richer for having read this.

actually it is not the place to slam a vendor in tech, I will edit the post slightly....

you can talk about products you don't like in tech. that is fine. This post is ok, but we will remove the names just to be a little more diplomatic about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom