Throwout Bearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
To anyone reading, much appreciated. So, yesterday I was driving in my 40 and heard a loud ping come from the transmission area, and I lost power at the wheels. With the clutch in or out I can cycle through all gears with ease but the truck will not move at all. all my fluids are good, slave and master seem fine, the transmission has literally just been rebuilt. All linkage looks good. I removed the clutch inspection plate and everything is clean as a whistle in there, but if I reach up in there with a screwdriver and fiddle around with the throw-out bearing it seems to have a bit of play in it... it this my issue..???? Im thinking ive answered my own question thanks again yall - John

Well if the throwout bearing is gone you wouldn’t be able to shift because that’s what presses on the pressure plate to release it from the clutch plate. Something else is wrong. Are you sure your rear drive shaft is in tact and still connected (i.e. failed u-joint)? Will the rig move with front drive engaged?

Well if the throwout bearing is gone you wouldn’t be able to shift because that’s what presses on the pressure plate to release it from the clutch plate. Something else is wrong. Are you sure your rear drive shaft is in tact and still connected (i.e. failed u-joint)? Will the rig move with front drive engaged?

Yes, all U joints and driveshafts are intact, and I ha e tried low range and high range. Maybe a spring the I ha e overlooked has broken.... thank you for your reply middlecalf.

When you say “you can cycle through all gears” is that while the motor is running or off?

In either case your throwout shouldn’t affect any of this, and yes it should have a lot of play in it. It’s just pinched on your clutch fork. When clutch is disengaged it’s pretty much just free floating on the shaft.

I’m guessing your not getting power to your transmission (if you can shift through all gears while motor is running and clutch is out that confirms it). I would be going back to whoever rebuild your transmission if it was me.

When you say “you can cycle through all gears” is that while the motor is running or off?

In either case your throwout shouldn’t affect any of this, and yes it should have a lot of play in it. It’s just pinched on your clutch fork. When clutch is disengaged it’s pretty much just free floating on the shaft.

I’m guessing your not getting power to your transmission (if you can shift through all gears while motor is running and clutch is out that confirms it). I would be going back to whoever rebuild your transmission if it was me.

I can cycle through all the gear with the engine running and with engine off, clutch in or out also. Thanks for the reply.

I always look back to the last thing I have fiddled with. In your case the transmission. Did you do the reassemby? Or the shop?
If the clutch hub broke, I think it would be making some noise, so I suspect something in the trans.
Drop the two driveshafts, and try to spin the yoke on front and back of transfer case.
Anxious to see how this unfolds.

Ok I’m pretty sure your not getting power to the transmition. Few options; clutch is shot for some reason, pressure plate is shot for some reason. I.e something in the new assembly went amis. Maybe it was just a lemon or maybe it was installed wrong. Another option, your 1st fork in your transmission could have broke (your shaft into your transmission will be spinning but not be able to engage to any gear since the first collar won’t engage) try putting it in reverse. If it grinds I’m guessing it’s that fork, if not back to other options. Not as likely but you could have stripped the splines. I think it would sound pretty sick though. Also could have broke the input shaft after the input bearing. It would allow the shaft to spin freely. Again I’m guessing you would hear a “off” noise unless it broke really clean. Hard to say without seeing or hearing in person.

To all, after having the transmission rebuilt and installed at the #1 transmission place in my area ( All Trans), I drive it home. I then put around in the 40 for about a year at my house, no titled. After several months drive begins engaging at half clutch release. Adjusted clutch.... drive great. Replaced engine mounts as one was shot. Drove and shifted better than ever before.... that was two months ago and have not put many miles on it since. I will wrench on it later today.... thanks for all reading this

Ok I’m pretty sure your not getting power to the transmition. Few options; clutch is shot for some reason, pressure plate is shot for some reason. I.e something in the new assembly went amis. Maybe it was just a lemon or maybe it was installed wrong. Another option, your 1st fork in your transmission could have broke (your shaft into your transmission will be spinning but not be able to engage to any gear since the first collar won’t engage) try putting it in reverse. If it grinds I’m guessing it’s that fork, if not back to other options. Not as likely but you could have stripped the splines. I think it would sound pretty sick though. Also could have broke the input shaft after the input bearing. It would allow the shaft to spin freely. Again I’m guessing you would hear a “off” noise unless it broke really clean. Hard to say without seeing or hearing in person.

I can shift in and out of reverse without any grinding, with clutch in or out. All gears feel the same. Truck running or not. Thank you for your input hear.

Tcase is stuck in neutral. Disconnect the linkage from the arm on the top of the t-case. If you cannot feel positive detents in all three positions, then the hi Lo linkage inside the case is no longer functioning.

Last edited:
What Mark said!

I just went out, put tc in neutral, and can shift clutchless in my ‘65 in/out of any gear. And of course the rig doesn’t move. Duh!

GL on the fix.

Tcase is stuck in neutral. Disconnect the linkage from the arm on the top of the t-case. If you cannot feel positive detents in all three positions, then the hi Lo linkage inside the case is no longer functioning.

Ok. Going to check this out. Thanks for the help and I hope this is the problem !!!!

I feel like I must be missing something incredibly simple here but why would your transfer case affect you being able to shift through your gears on the transmission. (If in fact you’re getting power through the transmission)

I feel like I must be missing something incredibly simple here but why would your transfer case affect you being able to shift through your gears on the transmission. (If in fact you’re getting power through the transmission)

I think because of the ability to smoothly shift through gears with the engine running, while clutch in or out... and no grinding or motion would lead to it being a transfer case problem. I have not progressed in the situation. Stay tuned. Thnx all cmnts. Jw

I think because of the ability to smoothly shift through gears with the engine running, while clutch in or out... and no grinding or motion would lead to it being a transfer case problem. I have not progressed in the situation. Stay tuned. Thnx all cmnts. Jw

How can you shift with the clutch out with the engine running?:cautious:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom