Throwout bearing replacement worth it? 86 FJ60. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have what I have diagnosed to be a chirping throwout bearing. Sounds like a squeaky hinge being moved really fast lol I have tried to adjust this thing multiple times at the pedal but when I get the chirping to go away my clutch will slip under load. With it being a later clutch style there is no adjustment or spring on the clutch slave. Soo. Do I live with it? Try a new clutch slave? Drop the transmission and change the bearing? Im hesitant to drop the tranny because I have never done it and this is my daily driver. I have the mechanical knowledge and what it would entail I just don’t know how long it would realistically take me… advice? The clutch and transmission feel okay and seem to have a good bit of life on them

It’s not fun, but it’s better for you to do it than some ‘shop’.

Recruit a friend, get started Friday after work, do the mundane Friday evening…skid plate, crossmember etc. Get after it Saturday morning, s/b up & running early Sunday.

Read some threads, get some long bolts, cut off the heads…to assist in getting it back in. Most of the threads will mention this ‘trick’. Get, borrow or steal a tranny jack.

Go to work Monday morning…feeling good.

IMHO if going thru the trouble of changing the throwout bearing, go with a new clutch and preasure plate and pilot bearing, just do it all.

37863166_2032052520458615_8417354005658730496_n.jpg

I'm not sure I understand your explanation. Doesn't the throw out bearing make noise when there is not enough free play in the pedal to completely disengage the throw out bearing. I don't see how adjusting the pedal for more free play would cause the clutch to slip when engaged under load.

Do you have the return spring at the pedal? Are you making the correct adjustments to pedal height and free play?

Anyway, generally a noisy throw out bearing means it is going bad, and it is only going to get worse. But it is a big job to replace and which often gets the "midas touch" ("midas well do this, midas well do that"...

1678972245908.png

1678972292251.png

I'm not sure I understand your explanation. Doesn't the throw out bearing make noise when there is not enough free play in the pedal to completely disengage the throw out bearing. I don't see how adjusting the pedal for more free play would cause the clutch to slip when engaged under load.

Do you have the return spring at the pedal? Are you making the correct adjustments to pedal height and free play?

Anyway, generally a noisy throw out bearing means it is going bad, and it is only going to get worse. But it is a big job to replace and which often gets the "midas touch" ("midas well do this, midas well do that"...

View attachment 3273783

View attachment 3273784
Yeah when I bring free play back in the squeal comes back. If the free play is set to what FSM calls for it squeals. Springs are all good around the clutch pedal. I have played with that a lot. I can decrease to no free play and it disappears but the clutch isn’t happy like that. So I pretty much can’t get around changing it I guess. But now since I plan on dropping the trans I have tacked on possible other to do’s while it is out. Rear main seal maybe. I don’t know that I can do a transfer case rebuild in a weekend alongside the bearing change but thinking on it.

Yeah when I bring free play back in the squeal comes back. If the free play is set to what FSM calls for it squeals. Springs are all good around the clutch pedal. I have played with that a lot. I can decrease to no free play and it disappears but the clutch isn’t happy like that. So I pretty much can’t get around changing it I guess. But now since I plan on dropping the trans I have tacked on possible other to do’s while it is out. Rear main seal maybe. I don’t know that I can do a transfer case rebuild in a weekend alongside the bearing change but thinking on it.
If you have all the tools and parts and a proper place to work you can get the transfer case built in a few days. It depends on how clean you want to make things before putting it all back together. There’s almost always some snag when digging in that deep. I think it took me 4 days to do my transfer case. I had to run to the store for tools a couple of times.

Doesn't the throw out bearing make noise when there is not enough free play in the pedal to completely disengage the throw out bearing.
The throw out bearing should never make any noise under any conditions.

Replace it along with the clutch and pressure plate and pilot bearing. (Standard clutch kit items). Also look at the rear main crank seal while you are in there.

If you have all the tools and parts and a proper place to work you can get the transfer case built in a few days. It depends on how clean you want to make things before putting it all back together. There’s almost always some snag when digging in that deep. I think it took me 4 days to do my transfer case. I had to run to the store for tools a couple of times.
That’s exactly what I’m worried about. A snag. Redid my whole AC system last year and that was a great example of the unexpected.

The throw out bearing should never make any noise under any conditions.

Replace it along with the clutch and pressure plate and pilot bearing. (Standard clutch kit items). Also look at the rear main crank seal while you are in there.
I already have a clutch kit that I completely forgot about in storage so that can be taken care of. I might just need to take an extra day off work to give me three full days. Going to go ahead and buy a new rear main seal just in case. Maybe contact the previous owner to see if that has been changed ever cause I don’t see it in maintenance records.

I already have a clutch kit that I completely forgot about in storage so that can be taken care of. I might just need to take an extra day off work to give me three full days. Going to go ahead and buy a new rear main seal just in case. Maybe contact the previous owner to see if that has been changed ever cause I don’t see it in maintenance records.

Unless you have a new flywheel make sure you set aside time for a machine shop to resurface it.

Sounds like you might want to set aside some time to do the tcase, flywheel machining, and new clutch/components all at once. That would actually be the best use of your time.

FWIW, if you do end up replacing the TO bearing, only use the Toyota one. None of the aftermarket are as robust, and the OEM is not available in the US as an aftermarket. Same goes for the Pilot bearing.

New Toyota Pilot & Throw out Bearings and replace the rear main seal while you're at it.
:beer:✌️

Not sure what your garage/shop setup is. But if using a transmission jack you can drill holes and bolt the mounts to the jack itself. Just need a strap to hold the tranny/tcase in place while removing the cross member. Tranny and tcase comes out together.

Credit goes to @CenTXFJ60

View attachment 3274001

View attachment 3273991
Ha. Now I may have shared this idea with you Mark, but I give credit to the MUD community as this is where I learned of this great tip :).

Not to hijack the thread but I’m curious as to why my throw out bearing would still be making noise after a complete replacement with the clutch kit from City Racer. If I push the clutch in, there’s no noise. If it’s idling in neutral, it makes a spinning grinding sound. Hoping for some advice, not sure if I need to adjust the clutch or?

@carlosfj80 you could possibly just need to adjust the clutch, but that could just be putting a bandaid on a larger problem.

Did not happen on my cruiser, but my pickup had the same noises before and after I replaced the clutch and bearings. Only way the noise went away is when I pushed the clutch in and held it there. Turns out the input shaft bearing on the transmission was bad. I ended up replacing the trans and all the noises went away.

Start it up and get under it and listen where the noise is coming from. Should be easy to detect with the noise either being near the clutch or the trans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom