1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Throwout bearing removal?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by DenverCruiser, Aug 4, 2005.

1. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

I am having a difficult time removing the bearing from the bearing hub. I have just tried prying it off with a screwdriver. Any better ideas?

2. Gus

Gus SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I used a vise, letting the lip of the old bearing rest on top of the vise and the bearing hub hang down between the jaws. I then used a hammer and a drift to tap around the edge of the bearing hub. To install the new throwout bearing in placed it on the work bench and tapped (using a soft mallet) the bearing hub into the new throwout bearing, this worked fine for me.

3. HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Media:
    Albums:
    Screwdrivers don't usually work too well on pressed on parts ;) . You could use a press in addition to Gus' tips.

4. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

Might sound stupid but I got it off with ease this last Saturday. Simply held onto the top of the hub with the bearing hanging below. Simply use a small hammer and tap around in circles. You don't have to hit hard (making it easy to hold the hub and not hit your fingers). Popped off in about 2 minutes.

5. KY Longhunter

KY Longhunter

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow, that was easy. I was overthinking this.

Thanks Gus!