thrown rod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am curious, I have a friend that is selling his '86 4runner, but he stated that the engine had thrown a rod. Is it salvageable, or would I be better off buying a new motor. He is selling it for $650.

hers some food for thot.

long story short, the PO cranked one of the valve tappets too tight. shaved the cam.

shavings got into the bottom end. i noticed a slight, then soon loud and with in 6 miles VERY loud knocking. i pulled it into my shop yanked out the engine, turned it over, and looked at the crank. the #3 rod bearing was toast. i was very surprised the crank was not affected.

so, this may be a different scenario.
Jerod has a good reputation for being right. :D so it is very likley that you will have to get a new engine. but if you are willing to take a chance, and can get a good deal on this truck, it may be worth it.

He is not to much of a mechanic. He actually told me that when he threw the rod, that it lost power, but his girlfriend who was driving it at the time, was able to drive it to a shopping center and park it. He stated that it would still fire up, but that it ran rough and did not have a lot of power. I have a built 84 4runner, but thought that I might by my friends, because the body and interior are real clean. I was just hoping to maybe have an engine that could be repaired. If not, have any of you guys ran a chevy 4.3l v-6? If so what are your thoughts, or should I stick with a 22re for longevity?

Sounds more like he lost a cylinder..... Maybe a plug fouled, or a valve is stuck open, or a plug wire fell off or took a dive.....

I wouldn't feel too bad about buying that "thrown rod" from a stranger, but I'd have to help a friend out. :D

Usually when you try to restart a thrown rod the starter just hums cause the engine is siezed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom