Throwback Thursday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'am a cultist - didn't know that

dougbert

you were one....now we're connoisseurs :)

In 1987 I so wanted a new HJ60, but at over twice the price of the F150 I bought, it
was too much. Sure glad I have one now! Great video, thanks for posting.

Well you also have to look at the economy of scale for the given year, $22k in 1989 was probably close to $40K or $50k today. Still not bad but definitely not "affordable" by any means.

As far as price goes, when my mom and dad bought our 62, it was between the LC and the new Mercedes '89 SUV at the time(not the G Wagon!).. So they weren't exactly cheap. I'm not sure if these are rare, but here's some pics of the brochure for the '89 FJ62 that my parents got from the dealership:
20141106_093611.jpg 20141106_093626.jpg 20141106_093641.jpg

This was posted on instagram the other day from the user: @cars_of_east_hampton
I guess this guy goes around the Hampton NY area and takes pics of cool cars he sees. I liked his
page a while back when he posted another Cruiser.

When this popped up I couldn't believe my eyes! It was my old Cruiser!! It looks just like it did when I sold it
in 2007 ish. I knew it was mine right away. I installed all the accessories. Nerf Bars, roof rack, tail light guards,
hitch, bug shield, side exit exhaust, and Toyota emblem on the rear.
Only thing different are the tires and pads on the rack. I sold it to a guy in NY and feared it had rusted away by now.
I was so happy to see it still alive and well.

They got the year wrong, but I forgive them. Wonder if the owner is on here?

Love the video!

As far as price goes, when my mom and dad bought our 62, it was between the LC and the new Mercedes '89 SUV at the time(not the G Wagon!).. So they weren't exactly cheap. I'm not sure if these are rare, but here's some pics of the brochure for the '89 FJ62 that my parents got from the dealership:
View attachment 962283 View attachment 962284 View attachment 962285
Pretty sure the only SUV built by Mercedes in 1989 was the G wagon, and it wasn't even sold in the US then.

Last edited:
Olija, what a great video! Thanks for sharing.

Excellent video - thanks. I recall the Pre-ABS days on Motorweek, with cars skidding to a stop.

Feeling bad for thread jacking earlier. I was just super excited about my old rig.

I watched the video and it is super awesome. I love seeing the old review and looking forward to current day and what the classic cruisers have become to this community. They nailed the "cult vehicle" market title. Toyota truly made a classic vehicle and I am proud to own one and be a part of this community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom