Through bumper hitch and spare tire issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guy's - I have 2005 LX470 with the through bumper style hitch, and have been spare tire-less for the last two or so years. I am running 275/70r18s (spare still has factory size tire on it) but need new tires soon, so I will be putting one of my current (old) 33" tires on the spare when I get 4 new tires. In preparation for that, I made a bit more room for the spare tire to fit by lifting the front and rear support bars, as well as spacing up the crossmember that supports the spare found on various spare tire lift threads here.

My problem came about when I went to put my new spare back on after doing the spare tire lift, and I remembered why I had been spare tire-less for this whole time. I tow a lot and need a tow setup on my truck at all times, however when I went to slide the ball mount back through the hitch, it's too long to line up with the pin hole as it comes in contact with the tire a inch or so before the pin holes line up. I've tried tilting and shifting the spare all different way's to make it work but can't make it happen. This is with the factory 32" tire on the rim as well, so I know a 33" will not work as is.

Would it be safe, and possible to grind/cut down the ball mount so it's shorter, and can slide in further before coming in contact with the tire? Any other ideas on how to fit a 33" tire under the truck with the type of in-bumper hitch I have? Surely people don't drop their spare every time they tow with this style bumper.

Thanks for any advise.

Does anyone have experience with p/n PT228-00380? I just came across a thread mentioning this same issue, and this was one of the solutions.

I cut my ball mount for this exact reason. I think I only took an inch off. Can’t imagine it being a problem.

X2, I trimmed mine for clearance, never had any issues.

I’m getting quotes for $125 to do the hack. They have a 1 hour minimum...That’s at a local machine shop with a plasma torch. How have you guys cut it down?

This hitch I found at walmart is the only one I found that would work with my lexus through hitch and a spare tire.

IMG_20180702_190103.jpg

IMG_20180702_190121.jpg

IMG_20180702_190133.jpg

IMG_20180702_190146.jpg

IMG_20180709_120028.jpg

It’s a little ridiculous that a shop would have the stones to charge someone $125 for 30 seconds of work and 1/10 th of a cutoff wheel. OP if you’re not familiar with what kind of grinder and wheels were talking about, let us know.

I didn’t know about angle grinders until I was 27. Lol

This hitch I found at walmart is the only one I found that would work with my lexus through hitch and a spare tire.

View attachment 2002291

View attachment 2002292

View attachment 2002293

View attachment 2002294

View attachment 2002295

Do you happen to know the measurement from the center of the hitch-pin hole to the upper edge of the angled face plate?

I'm having a difficult time finding a ball mount with the depth enough between the hitch pin and what would interfere with the face of the bumper. I measured ~4.5" is needed in order to get the pin in and have the 'face' of the ball mount not touch the bumper. Everything I've seen is like 3.75-4"

That seems like an odd problem to have. Usually it’s too long and interferes with the spare, not that it’s not long enough. Can you take a pictures of what you’re talking about?

Do you happen to know the measurement from the center of the hitch-pin hole to the upper edge of the angled face plate?

I'm having a difficult time finding a ball mount with the depth enough between the hitch pin and what would interfere with the face of the bumper. I measured ~4.5" is needed in order to get the pin in and have the 'face' of the ball mount not touch the bumper. Everything I've seen is like 3.75-4"
I think it may be close. You could slightly trim the upper edge if needed with a grinder to get a little clearance.

IMG_20190819_063502458.jpg

Last edited:
That seems like an odd problem to have. Usually it’s too long and interferes with the spare, not that it’s not long enough. Can you take a pictures of what you’re talking about?

I have no spare under the truck. What ends up happening is when I slide the mount into the receiver, the hitch pin hole is about 1/2" short. It needs to be closer to the end of the bar, not the drop.

First pic shows hitch pin hole on the left. Line #1 is where it hits the bumper, and line #2 is the extra length I need to clear the hitch pin without interfering with the bumper.

Second pic shows the mount/drop I was going to use, but notice that there is only 3.5-4" from hole to the diagonal support that would hit the bumper.

IMG_20190818_203223_01.jpg

Resized_20190818_191822.jpg

@MongooseGA, why not just pick up a different hitch, simply looks like the one you have just doesn't fit in this case. There are always a lot on CL, that are often pretty nice for cheap, and then there is Harbor freight or a Uhaul center, which usually have quite a selection.

I had to trim mine in two places to make it work with my larger spare tire. I trimmed the end where the hole is but I also had to notch the area that the pin is pointing to in the photo to get the holes to line up.

I only haul a small trailer to the dump. I would probably get another receiver if I were going to haul a travel trailer or something heavier.

IMG_0659.JPG

@MongooseGA, why not just pick up a different hitch, simply looks like the one you have just doesn't fit in this case. There are always a lot on CL, that are often pretty nice for cheap, and then there is Harbor freight or a Uhaul center, which usually have quite a selection.

New hitch, or new ball mount?

Finding a new ball mount is what I'll end up doing. In my search online though, it seems most of the ball mounts available are going to have the same measurements in this dimension. With that, I've got to find one that's specifically longer on that bar than normal. The one I'm using is just for reference sake as I'll need the 8" drop to tow my camper.

I had to trim mine in two places to make it work with my larger spare tire. I trimmed the end where the hole is but I also had to notch the area that the pin is pointing to in the photo to get the holes to line up.

I only haul a small trailer to the dump. I would probably get another receiver if I were going to haul a travel trailer or something heavier.

View attachment 2061965

For a small trailer I'd be content just drilling new holes further back. I'll be pulling a 3500-4000lb camper though and would like to find something made to fit.

Luckily I was able to find a few on eBay that looked good. I've got messages to the sellers to confirm that distance between hitch pin and drop before I order anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom