Throttle staying open (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just started having an issue with my throttle. Driving in the freeway I let off the gas pedal and the RPM didn't drop, felt like the gas was still being pressed. I tapped the pedal and it went away. Then it did it again nthe next day but this time I had to tap the pedal several times. I checked the throttle cable and it is not obstructed in any way. I added some white lithium grease to the cable thinking maybe it was getting caught on something. Seem to work great the next day until a few blocks from home. RPM stayed up tapping the pedal did nothing shifting into neutral RPMs jumps to 3000 .I pulled into my house put it in park and checked under the hood. I was able to manually close the throttle dropping the RPMs.

Is it the throttle that is sticking? does it have to do with the throttle position sensor? Or is it the cable?

Any advice on where to check first would be awesome.

I just started having an issue with my throttle. Driving in the freeway I let off the gas pedal and the RPM didn't drop, felt like the gas was still being pressed. I tapped the pedal and it went away. Then it did it again nthe next day but this time I had to tap the pedal several times. I checked the throttle cable and it is not obstructed in any way. I added some white lithium grease to the cable thinking maybe it was getting caught on something. Seem to work great the next day until a few blocks from home. RPM stayed up tapping the pedal did nothing shifting into neutral RPMs jumps to 3000 .I pulled into my house put it in park and checked under the hood. I was able to manually close the throttle dropping the RPMs.

Is it the throttle that is sticking? does it have to do with the throttle position sensor? Or is it the cable?

Is this occurring on a 62? If

I had similar symptoms on my 89 long time ago. If I recall correctly I did not have to replace any parts/sensor.... I’m sure I followed the maintenance instructions for cleaning the throttle body... from the Service Manual. The issue was resolved in my case. I think there are a couple of threads on cleaning the throttle body.

Is this occurring on a 62? If

I had similar symptoms on my 89 long time ago. If I recall correctly I did not have to replace any parts/sensor.... I’m sure I followed the maintenance instructions for cleaning the throttle body... from the Service Manual. The issue was resolved in my case. I think there are a couple of threads on cleaning the throttle body.

Thanks, I was reading those and thinking that might be a good place to start. And yes, it's on my FJ62

Yeah...I was thinking.....Throttle cable?? We ain't got no stinkin throttle cable!

Yeah that would be very concerning. Last thing you want to do is rear end someone's car. Did you take the throttle off the throttle body? Did you freely rotate the throttle body livre or cable guide desk if that's the propria term all the way to the maximum range of travel? Did it stick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom