Throttle Knob (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On an FJ60 the throttle know pulls on the accelerator linkage to raise the engine speed. One might use it to set engine speed for a PTO winch or something similar.

Same use, the pedal is the same on a late 60/62 and that’s where the knob and cable go to. Did you see if it’s actually connected still?

Are you serious? It has a great use….. I use it whenever I’m running my winch a lot, it’s genius.

Last edited:
If your throttle knob does not do anything noticeable then it is probably disconnected. But if it HAS a throttle knob then it should have been connected from the factory, so the PO has disconnected it for some reason.
Uses....
As some have said, if you have a winch it can keep your engine revs up while you winch - even electric may need this to keep the charge up (but you should be fine at idle.)
The other use is when off-roading it gives a more constant throttle in rough terrain - but you have to be wary of using it like that because it is not a "smart" thing - it won't release when you hit the brakes for instance.
My preferred use is in deep soft sand, when you can set it and get out and push........... yep, I go off-road alone most of the time and so you figure out ways to get unstuck, and the sand here in Western Australia can be legendary..... let the tyres down as far as you can, drop into low range, pop the clutch, set the hand throttle, let it grind its way slowly forward as you and your mate get out and push, push, push.... then chase it when it suddenly begins to ride the sand. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'll fidget with it more, but I havent seen any changes. Guess I'll need to crawl around and figure out how to reconnect it

Is it a push/pull or twist operation?

I'll fidget with it more, but I havent seen any changes. Guess I'll need to crawl around and figure out how to reconnect it

Is it a push/pull or twist operation?
you pull out to engage, twist to left to release and push in to disengage. I f***ing love using it to bump up my idle a few hundred rpms when wheeling, I rarely have to use the clutch, now it's more like an AT a lot of times. And I like bumping up the idle when winching.

I don’t want to hijack this thread but does anyone have a source for the actual knob. I looked at my cruiser yesterday after reading this thread and realized I had an aftermarket knob.

you pull out to engage, twist to left to release and push in to disengage. I f***ing love using it to bump up my idle a few hundred rpms when wheeling, I rarely have to use the clutch, now it's more like an AT a lot of times. And I like bumping up the idle when winching.
THANK YOU! I'll mess with it when Im home tonight, see if it engages

the throttle cable connects to the accelerator pedal assembly. It's easy to look in the foot well to see if it is connected or not.

1661441705782.png

I don’t want to hijack this thread but does anyone have a source for the actual knob. I looked at my cruiser yesterday after reading this thread and realized I had an aftermarket knob.

@ToyotaMatt can prolly help you out. I don't see anything on his site but have talked to him in the past about a NOS hand throttle cable so maybe he has a knob in his stash somewhere. HTH.

Ok, I got to know. Ive twisted, pulled, moved it all I can - what the heck does the Throttle Knob do on a 88?

what exactly happens when you pull on the hand throttle knob on your 1988 FJ62 ?

does the silver metal shaft pull out more or is it frozen up ?

sure i have NOS Hand Throttle Cables available ,

but maybe you simply need to understand it better or know it ONLY comes out when pulled like say 16mm or approx. a 1/2 inch ...

what exactly happens when you pull on the hand throttle knob on your 1988 FJ62 ?

does the silver metal shaft pull out more or is it frozen up ?

sure i have NOS Hand Throttle Cables available ,

but maybe you simply need to understand it better or know it ONLY comes out when pulled like say 16mm or approx. a 1/2 inch ...
You are spot on! I pulled on it and watched the pedal go down...but, as you stated, I had to pull it quite a bit out.

Now, to get it back in, I tried twisting it with little luck, just had to force it back to normal

You are spot on! I pulled on it and watched the pedal go down...but, as you stated, I had to pull it quite a bit out.

Now, to get it back in, I tried twisting it with little luck, just had to force it back to normal
My hand throttle, which I purchased new and installed myself also seems very klunky on the release. Twisting doesn't seem to do anything and I end up pushing it back in with some amount of resistance.

Reactions: HMP

cue tip some WD-40 on the shaft and push and pull it out alot ..........

this should help

do this and report back ....

thanks
matt

give that old girl some lube wildman! :) seriously though

Will a silicone lubricant be fine? I got some for my manual window mechanism, thought it'd be fine in the cable too, but want to check before I get to squirting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom