Throttle cable, does this look right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m getting ready to replace my ICS on my ‘84 desmogged with a CityRacer carb. I have googled and also used the search here on MUD, but all the pictures I can find show the linkage and cable but only from the drivers fender, I need a shot from the firewall behind the carb towards the front of the engine bay. Photos of mine below. It appears my throttle cable might be making contact with the wiring going to the ICS and looks as though if that’s the case, it might have deformed it a bit. Or does this look “normal” or is it nothing to worry about? Just don’t want a lack in performance if I’m not getting the full range of the throttle cable. Truck seems to be running ok. Thoughts? Thanks!

BDE0A5FE-6F01-4416-96A3-C1F0D116E899.jpeg
5402435E-CFF0-49A3-B14C-128834BE4739.jpeg

That is your choke cable. The throttle is actuated by the linkage (rods with balls and sockets) that attach to the bottom of carburetor. You can pull the choke tight with the engine off to see if the ICS is interfering with the cable. As the choke linkage pivots, the cable connection point will drop below the ICS.

The position of that bracket is nothing really special. The bracket holds the end of the cable housing to "set" the length of the cable pull. It just needs a more or less straight pull to the connection on the throttle linkage. You could probably bend the bracket down and away from the ICS a little bit if needed. Or maybe you could run the ICS wires on top of the solenoid instead of underneath.

The FJ60 stock throttle linkage looks like this:

1661273439117.png

the long rod on the far left is moved by the gas pedal and in turn rotated the linkage clockwise/counterclockwise...which in turn drives the arm on the far right that actuate the throttle plates on the carb. there should be an arm with a small ball on it on the carb and thats where the stock linkage attaches.

You choke cable is routed more or less correctly. It comes through the fire wall and loops around by/under the air cleaner then the cable end is secured in the bracket.

I’m getting ready to replace my ICS on my ‘84 desmogged with a CityRacer carb. I have googled and also used the search here on MUD, but all the pictures I can find show the linkage and cable but only from the drivers fender, I need a shot from the firewall behind the carb towards the front of the engine bay. Photos of mine below. It appears my throttle cable might be making contact with the wiring going to the ICS and looks as though if that’s the case, it might have deformed it a bit. Or does this look “normal” or is it nothing to worry about? Just don’t want a lack in performance if I’m not getting the full range of the throttle cable. Truck seems to be running ok. Thoughts? Thanks!

View attachment 3094835View attachment 3094836

your choke cable routed a bit incorrectly , NO Pre-Tension it needs a TAD WEE bit of , has cut into your FCS 2 wire solenoid wires ?

- you should consider this LINK below , i offer the ONLY 2 wire FJ60 2F Engine FCs globally ,with all the period correct and proper OEM connectors ...

- that PHAT wad of tape ,. there is ONLT hampering your choke cable and will HANG IT UP for sure , and get all tangled like it is now ..

- do it correct , do it once and do it right , then you can rest easy and SLEEP at night ....😴

1661508367824.png

1661508407055.png

1661508448101.png

your choke cable routed a bit incorrectly , NO Pre-Tension it needs a TAD WEE bit of , has cut into your FCS 2 wire solenoid wires ?
@ToyotaMatt : If you are suggesting the OP's choke cable is too slack (I tend to agree), then it looks to me like the cable is too long for the housing. The housing clamp is right at the end of the housing and pushing the housing further in the clamp (to the left in his picture) will only make the cable more slack. He may need a new choke cable/housing assembly along with sorting out the interference with the ICS.

@ToyotaMatt : If you are suggesting the OP's choke cable is too slack (I tend to agree), then it looks to me like the cable is too long for the housing. The housing clamp is right at the end of the housing and pushing the housing further in the clamp (to the left in his picture) will only make the cable more slack. He may need a new choke cable/housing assembly along with sorting out the interference with the ICS.

i am suggesting everything you just said exactly ........

good interpretation of my TECH photos ..... :)

- you should consider this LINK below , i offer the ONLY 2 wire FJ60 2F Engine FCs globally ,with all the period correct and proper OEM connectors ...

- that PHAT wad of tape ,. there is ONLT hampering your choke cable and will HANG IT UP for sure , and get all tangled like it is now ..

- do it correct , do it once and do it right , then you can rest easy and SLEEP at night ....😴

View attachment 3097318

View attachment 3097320
View attachment 3097321
@ToyotaMatt I just purchased this new FCS package from you

Just haven’t had time to install it yet. And I’ll look at adjusting the slack in the choke cable. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom