Throttle cable adjustment (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all.
A442f transmission here in a 93 gxl.

Since I've had my cruiser the gear changes are harsh. It's very evident in low range as shifting from first to second gives a big clunk as it engages. There is also a big clunk when coming off the throttle too.
The valves were supposedly done before I got the vehicle in attempt to fault find why first and second gear was not being selected. This turned out to be the plug near the starter was falling apart which meant no power going to select those gears - this has been rectified.
Oil level seems fine and oil looks good (I haven't changed it myself though).
I went to adjust the throttle cable however it doesn't seem to have the red plastic piece or go to the same location as almost every other post on the adjustment mentions. In the images the transmission cable is always the one on the left and I do not have cruise control.

Can someone let me know if this is in the wrong place and even the right cable!? Thanks in advance.

20221220_160638.jpg

20221220_160645.jpg

20221220_160649.jpg

have a look at this,

looking at the cable on left (kickdown) there is usually a red ball of sorts on the cable and there is a specific measurement where it sits when throttle closed
I cant see it in your images

EDIT _ the transmission cable (lhs with foam around it) is in the wrong slot.

see below your cables there is another slot - thats where the trans cable goes. I just checked mine and thats where it is. This is probably resulting in an incorrectly adjusted kickdown cable
The slot where your trans cable currently is i beleive is for cruise control

Last edited:
have a look at this,

looking at the cable on left (kickdown) there is usually a red ball of sorts on the cable and there is a specific measurement where it sits when throttle closed
I cant see it in your images

EDIT _ the transmission cable (lhs) is in the wrong slot.

see below your cables there is another slot - thats where the trans cable goes. I just checked mine and thats where it is.
The slot where your trans cable currently is i beleive is for cruise control
That matches up with what I've seen as well but I'm wondering if then it's not even on the correct section of the throttle body. Could you have a look at yours for me please?

That matches up with what I've seen as well but I'm wondering if then it's not even on the correct section of the throttle body. Could you have a look at yours for me please?
I just checked mine and the kickdown cable is routed beneath the accelerator cable to the left

you have it hooked into the far left on the TB which is for CControl.
There is a slot in the middle - thats where it goes - underneath as opposed to over the top

therefore when you accelerate the TB pulls the kickdown cable

Last edited:
I just checked mine and the kickdown cable is routed beneath the accelerator cable to the left

you have it hooked into the far left on the TB which is for CControl.
There is a slot in the middle - thats where it goes - underneath as opposed to over the top

therefore when you accelerate the TB pulls the kickdown cable
Absolutely perfect. Thankyou!

& that grey bulb on the cable is what you adjust to a 1mm gap to the rubber insulator where the cable exits the outer sheath when throttle closed
the rubber end on mine is red but yours black so maybe the cable has been changed at some point or Mr T changed the cables - mines a 95

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom