Thrill on the Hill event, Ruidoso (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i recieved this from Brandon that is organizing the event. those that signed up, can you let me know or email him direct? Evan, can you get some TT issues for them to take? his email is brandon_dsmtoyota@hotmail.com, that's brandon_dsmtoyota-at-hotmail.com. thanks,

Shawn

Hey Shawn,

Just wanted to follow up with you and your club on The Thrill on the Hill event being held on may 25th-28th in Ruidoso, NM. The registrations are coming in and I don't believe anyone from the NM-TLCA has signed up. When we previously spoke I was under the impression your club would be attending this event. I also have advertised that your club will be there also to take registrations for new members of TLCA. Please call me or email me back to go over the details. I will also attach the details of our event.

Thank you
Brandon Burling
Desert Sun Motors
(800)682-5266

he just replied to me again and said Mike M was signed up. he still has several open slots for the event. the website to sign up is-www.2007fjrally.com.

I was planning on going to check it out. not to wheel though. what does he mean by "take registrations for new members of TLCA." ? Isn't there a website for that?

I'm registered but obviously it's not clear that I'm a "NM-TLCA" member. Brandon was not around when I made my calls and registered. I dealt with the other guy Neal for everything.

Do we need to do something official like have a table or a banner? I can tell people about the website all day long and hand out copies of TT to people who seem interested. But you can get a free copy when you request an information packet from TLCA.

I'll email Brandon to let him know I'm a HDC member.

Marc

i'll have to find out exactly what he wants.

I'll see what I can do to get some extra copies of Trails to send along.

Regarding Brandon's comment of "your club will be there also to take registrations for new members of TLCA," I think that is sort of being frowned on lately. It seems that someone did that at some event or another and the money never made it to TLCA. But it should be fine for someone from HDC to hand out some copies of Trails and let people know how to get signed up - either through the website or with the TLCA application that's in every copy of the Trails.

I'll keep everyone posted on the status of getting some magazines. We'll likely have to ask Skipper to send a check to cover the postage, or I'll send a check and ask him for reimbursement.

Evan

Cool.
I'd be interested in helping out however I could. Just confirmed the ol' ladies schedule last night and her semester starts after that weekend so we are in!

Each of us that's going could print out a few pages of the "High Desert Cruiser Cards" that are on the Yahoo Groups site to hand out while we are there. Shawn, do you still have any of the HDC stickers? I never got one when I signed up but if I'm going to be an official ambassador at this even I should at least have one on my truck. Danise could give Jill the $3 for it the next time they see each other. Just in case we don't make the next club meeting.

I spoke with Brandon this morning and he said there are still some spots open for the event. However, they are limiting it to 70 trucks, so if you're interested, get signed up soon. I checked with Ellen and we have decided to attend as well. The website for registration is www.2007fjrally.

It's going to be mostly FJ Cruisers, so us HDC guys can show them what the older trucks are all about.

I'm also set up to receive 60 copies of the March/April issue of Toyota Trails - Skipper, if you're reading this, I'll be asking for reimbursement for the shipping - and I'd appreciate some help from you other guys that will be there to get these distributed to interested Cruiserheads.

Right now, as far as Brandon knows, from HDC, we have Mike M, Mark A. and family, and us. Maybe Rory's signed up by now? It should be a blast - anyone else who's thinking about it - get off the couch and get signed up. It's only $55 and that includes free camping for the weekend, bar-b-q dinners on two nights, live entertainment, and an event T-shirt.

It probably won't be the most hard-core wheeling, but there's some beautiful mountain scenery down in that part of the state. I'm looking forward to it!

Evan

It's great to hear that you're signed up Evan. Rory, hurry up and get yourself registered. I don't think they'd care if you didn't wheel and just wanted to hang out with other Cruiserheads. I'm planning to leave here Friday morning and get down there mid afternoon to get a good spot for my tent and do some extra sight-seeing. I was considering taking the road that goes south from Mountainair through the Salinas Monument and just taking it easy down to Carizozo.

Marc

i figured we would only want to hand out TT and show them where to sign up and the HDC info too. i wouldn't want to take $ for TLCA either. i didn't even think of that as an option. it is good PR for us and TLCA though. thank you to the ones attending for helping out.

I just wrote down the number Marc. I'll call them now.

I have that Friday off and wanted to leave in the AM also. Maybe we can caravan, my 40 can't be much slower than your 60, right?

Last edited:
save some time for the petroglyphs south of 'zozo, if it's not included. way different 'feel' from the Abq petroglyphs, more art/walking time. i think the site is called 3 rivers...

Maybe we can caravan, my 40 can't be much slower than your 60, right?

The only things I seem to be faster than are air-cooled Volkswagens so a stock 40 might give my 60 some competition.

Caravaning sounds good to me as long as you don't mind frequent stops and a liesurely pace. Our trucks were both designed during the 55 mph speed limit era. With the 31" tires and stock gearing, she's pretty happy at 55 - 65 mph (as long as there aren't any hills). I start getting nervous much more above that. 75 puts the tach at ~ 3,000 rpm and I'm not comfortable exceeding that.

Siren - thanks for the suggestion on the glyphs. I didn't even know there were any there.

well I registered about 1.5 hours ago. no confirmation yet, but I called and talked to Neil and he put me on the list.

I asked if having dogs at the camp site would be a problem and he assured me it was not. So count the Schells in for four!

We are really looking forward to this one. We are leaving after Ross gets out of school on Friday which is ~3:00PM. We won't be camping this trip but we will probably come by the camping area to see everyone, get some BBQ and help pass out the Toyota Trails.

We have never been to Ruidoso so this is all new for us.

-Mike-

You'll love it Mike - it's a pretty area. Lots of tall Ponderosa pines.

We'll be heading down around noon after wrapping up required stuff on Friday morning. We'll tow our tent trailer down with the Cruiser.

I forgot to mention for you FJC guys (Nathan, Mike B, forgive me if I'm missing others), Brandon mentioned that he has lined up lots of FJC prizes from All-Pro Off-Road to give away. He mentioned a front bumper and springs among other prizes. If you're not there to win them yourselves, you'll have to buy them from us 40, 60, and 80 series guys who can't fit FJC parts onto our own rigs!

Evan

I registered a few hours ago as well. I haven't convinced Monique to go yet so I'm might be going stag.
Sounds like a couple of convoys are emerging from the exchanges. Early (????) morning Departure, Noon Departure & Late (~3:00 pm)afternoon departure. I'd probably be in the late afternoon group as I'm guessing I'll be stuck at work until noon that Friday.

kevin

That's good news Kevin, I hope Monique can go.

-Mike-

I just signed up. I will call them with payment info tomorrow. I am planning on heading down on friday.

Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom