Three issues I can't seem to solve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Drivers side seatbelt clip in to section is loose. I have to dig it out and lift it up to buckle up. I don't see a bolt that I can tighten. Any advice?

Drivers side back seat, bench style, retractable lap belt is locked. Most threads discuss adding the shoulder belt. I just want to know how to unlock or a link to the replacement part.

Dome light stops working for no reason. I replaced bulb, works a few days, then dark. Changed fuse, but no luck.

These seem like simple solutions, but I can't find a solution or link to purchase.

The seatbelt latch probably has no plastic sheath, which is what keeps it in position. Try contacting one of the parting out vendors in classified for a replacement.

The rear bench belts are a recall item, but you may be better off disassembling them and cleaning them up. There is a plastic retractor clip or similar that jams or is broken. If you can flip the bench forward, access the buckle and pull it completely out...then ensure it did not fold over on itself, then try oiling / retracting it back in.

The dome light issue sounds like either a ground problem, where the assembly in the ceiling does not have clean metal contact, or the switch at door jamb is worn out.

Check out the FAQ at the top of the forum index, and research the associated threads and fixes for these and other 'fun'!

Welcome to the mudsanity!

Last edited:
The dome light switch contacts may be FUBAR. You can try to clean them or just replace the whole sucker.

Use a multimeter on the contacts to verify there is 12V flowing up there.

I had the rear seat belt retractor problem.
I unbolted it and got the twist out, simple fix.

Dome light: the bulb looked like it wasn't in properly. I pulled it out was getting 11 volts, so I bent the contacts out a little, then put the bulb in which was much snugger. It worked.
Newbie question: Do the LED bulbs work in the factory dome in my FJ60? Also, what's the proper solution used to clean the contacts?

I had the rear seat belt retractor problem.
I unbolted it and got the twist out, simple fix.

I'll give this a try this weekend. I was going to wait till I changed to a new seat cover, but this may be simple enough.

The seatbelt latch probably has no plastic sheath, which is what keeps it in position. Try contacting one of the parting out vendors in classified for a replacement.

The rear bench belts are a recall item, but you may be better off disassembling them and cleaning them up. There is a plastic retractor clip or similar that jams or is broken. If you can flip the bench forward, access the buckle and pull it completely out...then ensure it did not fold over on itself, then try oiling / retracting it back in.

The dome light issue sounds like either a ground problem, where the assembly in the ceiling does not have clean metal contact, or the switch at door jamb is worn out.

Check out the FAQ at the top of the forum index, and research the associated threads and fixes for these and other 'fun'!

Welcome to the mudsanity!

Thanks for the tips. I do have a sheath. The bolt that holds it together is loose. There isn't a thread for a nut or screwdriver. Weird.

.... I clean contacts the cave man way with a small metal tool or a little piece of 800 grit Emory paper if I can get it in there. Also a pencil eraser works well (if it fits). Anything to scrap up the contacts a bit.
Yeaa! Caveman way, feeling primal is good.

Thanks for the tips. I do have a sheath. The bolt that holds it together is loose. There isn't a thread for a nut or screwdriver. Weird.

Ahh, that is clear as mud... There should be a captive nut welded in place, look underneath to see if it's gone? Might be all clogged up?

Yeaa! Caveman way, feeling primal is good.

Ahh, that is clear as mud... There should be a captive nut welded in place, look underneath to see if it's gone? Might be all clogged up?

I'll take a pic of it. This is my first LC so I'm not familiar with the terminology. Also, first attempt at working on a vehicle. This forum is fantastic. Already changed the thermostat, fixed the dome light, flushed the radiator, fixed the leaky firewall to stop the wet floorboards, and swapped out the petcock. I'm learning a large amount from the collective knowledge of this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom