Land Cruisers spotted in Traverse City (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TCEd

SILVER Star
Threads
I've seen three different FJ40's once in town and was thinking their owners may be on this site. As small as Traverse City is I'm surprised I've only seen them once.

Green/white roof possible 1979 in like new condition. Was for sale last summer for high $30K.

Blue/white roof 1978 in like new condition. Met this owner once last year but didn't get contact info.

Red/white roof and winch later 70's model in very good condition. Saw this one with a small boat trailer attached yesterday.

Any of you on here ? Ed

I think I'd probably crash into a pole if I even SAW a Cruiser in my town, besides mine of course.

It wouldn’t surprise me that some rich Chicago people would have a 40 up in TC/torch lake to cruise around in when they’re playing like they’re rural up north folks.

Now you got me thinking I need a sticker saying "No, I'm not from Chicago, Detroit or Indianapolis and I live here year round".

1. Gumby is spot on. Older FJs, 80s wood sided Wagoneers, Scouts.... all the downstate/outofstate money with 3rd homes on the Bay, Northport, Glen Arbor, Leeland have one hiding in their garage. I grew up in Glen Arbor. Works at the Homestead, Art’s, Gabe’s Market. I don’t even go out there any more. Too many douchebags.
2. It’s hard being a “local”. It’s a high bar to qualify. My family moved here when I was 1st grade, I graduated 1985 out of TC Central High School. My wife, who was born here reminds me regularly that I’m not local.
3. Took my FJ60 in for new tires yesterday. Went from 33x10.5.15 to 33x12.5x15. Then the guy who does alignment for Belle Tire breaks the tie rod end at the drivers side wheel trying to align it. I’m walking back w/ the sales guy who got a buzz from the mechanic back in the pit. As I get close, it’s my buddy Clark who fills in as a drummer in my band from time to time. “Sorry man, I knew it was your truck and I was trying to be careful”. Next show, I’mcovering his drum sticks in vaseline.

1. Gumby is spot on. Older FJs, 80s wood sided Wagoneers, Scouts.... all the downstate/outofstate money with 3rd homes on the Bay, Northport, Glen Arbor, Leeland have one hiding in their garage. I grew up in Glen Arbor. Works at the Homestead, Art’s, Gabe’s Market. I don’t even go out there any more. Too many douchebags.
2. It’s hard being a “local”. It’s a high bar to qualify. My family moved here when I was 1st grade, I graduated 1985 out of TC Central High School. My wife, who was born here reminds me regularly that I’m not local.
3. Took my FJ60 in for new tires yesterday. Went from 33x10.5.15 to 33x12.5x15. Then the guy who does alignment for Belle Tire breaks the tie rod end at the drivers side wheel trying to align it. I’m walking back w/ the sales guy who got a buzz from the mechanic back in the pit. As I get close, it’s my buddy Clark who fills in as a drummer in my band from time to time. “Sorry man, I knew it was your truck and I was trying to be careful”. Next show, I’mcovering his drum sticks in vaseline.

I'm not local. We moved here ten years ago when we both retired. Live south of town not on the peninsulas. Until two years ago I was still playing hockey in town and got to meet and become friends with many locals and consider that an accomplishment. We spend a lot of time in Sleeping Bear but I agree about Glen Arbor. I call it Harbor Springs South. Sorry about the tie rod, I'll keep looking for your FJ60 in the area. Ed

I know how you all feel... the Asian students are back at MSU... it's an endless parade of Lambo's, McLaren's, BMW M-series with hello kitty license plate frames and God-awfully colored 'wraps', Bentley GT's, Nissan GTR's, the list goes on and on... They consider a new M3 'Slumming'.

I did almost turn around on my to Grand Rapids yesterday... I saw a 100 headed East with a Canoe on the top... it looked like me from 2 days prior!

There is a Mudder with a red 40 from Brighton, house on Elk Lake that keeps it up here. I think it's a '79. I feel more at home at the Elks Soccer games in a driving rain than Glen Arbor in summer.

reading the thread reminded me of home.
I lived in Maple City from '70 to '83.
Went to Glen Lake till 9th grade. Want to get back there next summer for the Blue Angels show and go camp with some yoopers and buy fudge and cross the bridge with my son and wife who've heard me talk about it endlessly.

for fun growing up my brother and i would tell lost fudgies wrong directions on purpose, just to watch theem drive back into town the other way. I dont remember any FJ's from back then though. My family owned the gas station in Cedar next to Mikowskis IGA.

Read an article in the local paper about a garage in town that dos very high end restorations. They are working on a F model so I'll need to check it out. Automotive Restoration Services | Garfield Auto Service Center
reading the thread reminded me of home.
I lived in Maple City from '70 to '83.
Went to Glen Lake till 9th grade. Want to get back there next summer for the Blue Angels show and go camp with some yoopers and buy fudge and cross the bridge with my son and wife who've heard me talk about it endlessly.

for fun growing up my brother and i would tell lost fudgies wrong directions on purpose, just to watch theem drive back into town the other way. I dont remember any FJ's from back then though. My family owned the gas station in Cedar next to Mikowskis IGA.

No Blue Angels for the 2019 Cherry Festival. They come on even numbered years. The Air Force Thunderbirds have been there on odd number years recently but also not for 2019. ed

Thanks for the link to Garfield's site. Will have to check that out. You wouldn't happen to know a shop that can corner balance or competently work on a fairly serious road race car do you?

Thanks for the link to Garfield's site. Will have to check that out. You wouldn't happen to know a shop that can corner balance or competently work on a fairly serious road race car do you?

I'd start with this outfit Home | Thompson Racing Fabrication & Performance they're in Maple City, I think they're a frame fabricator primarily. I saw a Subaru rally car build they did a complete cage on and it look like artwork. Started thinking about getting back into destroying rally cars in deep woods. I would guess they would know who in the region could do you work. Are you avoiding doing the corner balance because you do not have the scales ? Thinking it's not that difficult with the scales. ed

Michigan Auto Transport, National Auto Transport, Northern Michigan Car Hauling, Truck Hauling This is a friends site. He runs in the Silver State Classic with a older Plymouth that he's extensively modified. He should have some insight on who does what in the area. He has a link to the event on his homepage for the Purple Grape his car.

I just bought my first FJ40 in Aug. I love it! The guy that had it before us drove it 400 miles in 12 years. All I had to do was gas it up and change the oil, and away it went. I think the highlight was teaching my 23 year old daughter how to drive a stick! Lots of laughs.....

Here is a few more photo's!

fullsizeoutput_1e22.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1e24.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1e23.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom