Three day wood! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kaderabek

GOLD Star
Threads
Not that kind of wood....

I can't seem to keep my passenger side slider out of my catalytic converter. It's been off three times, ground down three times, and unless I have a 300 (+/-) pound person stand on it while I bolt it back on, up goes the slider into the cat when I crank the nuts tight on the brackets. Driving me crazy.

So as a stop gap measure until I can get to it this weekend I knocked a wedge of wood in between the slider and the catalytic converter. Lasted three days. Some faint smell of burning wood at first but it went away, either as a figment of my imagination or I got used to it (or rolled up the windows when the monsoon rolled in). Not sure if it burned up or fell out, probably both. But it's gone so I'm back to life with one of those vibrating motel beds strapped to the bottom of my Cruiser for a few more days.

I'm going to grind it down some more but does anyone have any suggestions (besides the large human standing on the slider) for keeping the slider from creeping up like this?

Yeah, it's low-tech but it's tech!

TJK

Don't exactly know how your sliders attach, but try putting a shim in beneath the slider mounting plate, so as to cause it not to come up as high when you tighten the mounting nuts/bolts.

cut off the cats, and rotate them 90 degrees, do a search.

Standing on it whilst tightening it will not do the trick. The first hard smack will jar it right back up. You need to relieve it more or put something non-compressable in between the gap and, I assume, U-bolt on the bottom.

All sliders should be mounted in a fashion where the U-bolts contact the bottom of the frame or they will certainly "hike-up" when you smack them hard.

Trust me, the u-bolts are contacting the bottom of the frame. Firmly. In a square fashion.

TJK

sc40 said:
cut off the cats, and rotate them 90 degrees, do a search.

Search would reveal mixed results, I've read those threads. And I'd like to avoid more expense here. But thanks!

TJK

Capt. Jim said:
Don't exactly know how your sliders attach, but try putting a shim in beneath the slider mounting plate, so as to cause it not to come up as high when you tighten the mounting nuts/bolts.

They're Slee sliders, u-bolts wrapping the frame. Puzzled.

TJK

add washers between the slider plate and the top of the u-bolt at all the upper mounts on the one side
start with one washer and see how it goes
you would not have to remove the slider for this to figure it out
loosen the u-bolts,set the washer behind the mounting plates, tighten up, see if it hits the cats.
if it still hits, add another washer.
if it looks like crap when done,return product for another set. :D

Todd, when my homemade sliders were doing that, i placed two washers on the back side of the mounting plate where the slider bolts to/around the cross member area. Just on the top two bolts behind the plate. I left the bottom two bolts normal. It gave it just enough tilt to keep it off the cat. Another thing you could do is look at the rubber mounting hanger just behind the cats and perhaps unbolt it and put another piece of rubber/wood whatever to raise the exhaust 1/2 inch.

Thanks for the advice. Washers might do the trick. Where it seems to be inching up though is where the cross member that protects the cats connects directly to the frame. Of course it's all connected. OK, thanks for the ideas!

TJK

> I can't seem to keep my passenger side slider out of my catalytic converter. It's been off three times, ground down three times, and unless I have a 300 (+/-) pound person stand on it while I bolt it back on, up goes the slider into the cat when I crank the nuts tight on the brackets. Driving me crazy.

Check the cross member. The bottom of the crossmember sometimes sticks past the frame and the foot of the cat bracket will sit on it. So when you tighten it, the foot does not sit flush with the frame rail, but a little away from the bottom of the framerail. This causes the outer end to tilt up.

Kaderabek said:
I'm going to grind it down some more but does anyone have any suggestions (besides the large human standing on the slider) for keeping the slider from creeping up like this?

Yeah, it's low-tech but it's tech!

TJK

Yes, sell them to me and buy the step slider that you really want.

Get an old steel camp bed and remove some some mattress coils. Find some steel pipe that the mattress coil springs will just slide into. Cut 1/4" lengths of this pipe and weld them to the cat shield on your slider where it would touch the cat. Test fit the sliders. Cut the mattress springs to fit and grind them flat at either end. insert the springs in the pipe ends and mark the spots on the cat shield where the coils touch. Remove the sliders and the cat shield and weld on some more pipe sections. Put it all together and you have got a catyltic suspension system...

:D :flipoff2:

semlin said:
Get an old steel camp bed and remove some some mattress coils. Find some steel pipe that the mattress coil springs will just slide into. Cut 1/4" lengths of this pipe and weld them to the cat shield on your slider where it would touch the cat. Test fit the sliders. Cut the mattress springs to fit and grind them flat at either end. insert the springs in the pipe ends and mark the spots on the cat shield where the coils touch. Remove the sliders and the cat shield and weld on some more pipe sections. Put it all together and you have got a catyltic suspension system...

:D :flipoff2:

Slow day today Simon?

:D

I will have to check these things on my fathers cruiser he has Slee sliders and the drivers side keeps rubbing on the body no matter how many times i adjust it. He had that problem on the cat side first but we ground down the bracket some and now it seems to be silent...now if I could make the DS silent....hmm.

I think this is another example of how it's tough to mass produce a product for the 80. Seems that each 80 is just a little different then the other. Not a problem with slee products, just need to some times taylor to each particular truck.

When Semlin said, "Get an old steel camp bed..." I thought he was going to say to mount it to the slider so your 300 pound friend doesn't have to stand on the slider all the time. He might prefer to just lay there, tied into the cot, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom