Three BF Goodrich AT KO2 Failures in 7 months (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sunset South Carolina, Tamassee, South Carolina
This sidewall failure was from February of this year. Tires were only 7 months old then:

image.jpeg

Just had two more sidewall failures this past weekend while driving home from SC to Florida:

image.jpeg

And about 1 hour later on another tire:

image.jpeg

Going to be speaking with BFG tomorrow. Still waiting on a credit they were supposed to send me from the first failure in February. I have lost all faith in their products and even more so of their integrity and customer
service.

The tires were on my 2003 2500 Duramax that I have owned since new. Other than the tires that came with the truck when purxhased, I have always run BFG AT's. This is probably the 5th or 6th set of new tires I had installed on this truck, and none of the previos sets had any such failures. Nothing in the bed but two bicycles, a cooler and my half-empty cross-over tool box:

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Wtf, has it been really hot down there? I have seen plenty of bulging sidewalls but nothing like that before. I have a set of those on my GX :eek:

Not any hotter than it has been in the past 13 years that I ran the previous sets of AT's. Certainly it was not hot back in February when the first one failed.

I am almost religious about checking my tire pressures. Check them always just prior to leaving on every road trip.

That's really disappointing. I've often ran with the idea that they were the best all purpose tires around.

:(

:mad:

@woody or whomever else has the power could this be moved to tire and wheel tech?

That is one huge chi chi, I would suspect it is a flaw in one production run.

Kinda glad I went Pro Comps for the runner.

Last edited:
Flaw? If this is a flaw they need some serious QC over there. There's a whole other thread on mud about them having cracking problems.

CORRECTION:

Just checked my receipts. The original purchase of these tires was June of 2015. So, to set the record straight, my first tire failed at 7-1/2 months, the second tire, which was purchased as a replacement at the end of February, 2016, failed at 6-1/2 months, and the third tire, which was my spare, failed at 15 months, although it had been my spare for the past 6-1/2 months, having been on the road since new for only 7-1/2 months plus the hour or so it was on the road when it became my third failed tire.

Sheesh! Higher math.....

Damn that is crazy... be thankful that didn't happen in some remote backcountry area, or while wheeling or hell even while driving faster than 20mph and not noticing.

What pressure do you run in them?

Any news @Capt. Jim ? Also had a fail now, after owning the tire for theth months.
Nothing since the last two failures. I have given up on having BFG/Michelin do anything for me regarding their defective tires. I have also given up buying any more of their crappy products. Bought two complete sets of tires from other manufacturers since these failures that replaced BFG and Michenlin tires. One set on my 4-Runner and another set on wife's E430. Soon I will get a new set for my Silverado and they will not be BFG's. Crappy product that was once good and even crappier customer service.

Seems like they are from different groups of production, given the interval over which they were bought, but hard to say. I know BFG produces the KM2 and KM3 in batches, which is why they go out of stock for brief periods from time to time. And this sort of thing can happen with any tire, but the followup is certainly disappointing. Given their lack of response, it's worth considering that your experience should be reported to official channels as it could save someone's life:
File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

This is why I don't buy or endorse the BFG's any more. I tried to run AT's, and didn't have any issues
until I started to air them down. But on the last 2 sets I had 1 tire in 4 with catastrophic sidewall failure
just like the pictures. Won't own them anymore.

never been on the BFG bandwagon, i like to go against the mainstream and try different things, thats why I drive a cruiser in the first place

never been on the BFG bandwagon, i like to go against the mainstream and try different things, thats why I drive a cruiser in the first place

That's cool, tires are like a lot of good things in life, pick the ones that please you most.

I'm just old enough that I started with BFG's when THEY were what was against the mainstream. Radials? They'll never get popular....

It is disappointing, as a long time BFG user, some 40 years right now, that this problem wasn't addressed. At a minimum, you'd want the customer to get a correction enticing enough to get them on some safer looking tires and not showing these off on the internet. But that's just my customer service thing, guess it's not BFG's any more?

Still, my own experience is very positive and BFGs have been reliably getting me there and back for a long time.

I've been running all forms of BFG's for 20+ years, and never, i repeat, never have had any type of problem w/ any of them! Radials, AT's, MT's and Krawlers.
Pulled 60k out of KO's on my 4Runner, Pulled 65k out of another set of KO's on my old F250. Just sold my excursion a while back, and had 35k-ish in KO2's. still had a little more than half tread.
Just waiting for spring and I'll be buying a set of 37" KM3's for my LX450.

Tires are what they are. Every brand has a bad batch from time to time. Nothing you can really do about that.

Finally replaced the crappy BFG's on my Silverado with Nitto's. Put the old tires on Craig's List and someone bought them the first day. He needed only one because of a sidewall failure on his similar BFG's. I think this problem is more widespread than they care to admit. If you are running KO's or KO2's, beware....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom