Threay with all Lube, Grease, Fluid, choices choices! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been searching for a while and came to a hand full of choices for all my fluids, grease and lubes to get in order to do a full maintenance from the bottom. If you guys feel like jumping in to help me adjust my list, go right ahead.

Vehicle 95 LC 130k with Diff Locks, hardly been off road, will see some off roading after all is checked.

Synthetic is thinner, but better because it doesnt run off as much after sitting?? and Conventional is a bit thicker but runs off faster right? (this is one thing im still confused about and as to why synt is twice the price?)

Molly grease is for Friction/Sliding movements Low speeds
Lithium grease for Rolling bearings high speed applications

Engine Oil Manual says: 5W-30 (7.4qt)
I picked up: Shell Rotella 5W-40

Tranny Oil Manual says: ATF Dexron II/III (4.0qt)
I went to store couldnt find Dexron II/III do they not make it anymore? i saw Dexron IV and some other few different ones maybe ill keep looking to see if i can find II or III

Transfer Case Manual says: 75W-90 (1.8qt)
This is where Synthetic or Convensional choices were driving me crazy at the store, truck being 130k seems like it would be better not to go with w thinner Synthetic?
i was going to get Mobil 1 or Coastal

Front and Rear Differential Manual Says: 80W-90 (6.0qt both)
Transfer case says 75W and differential says 80W in the manual, but why not use same in both? Seems like it would elliminate another headache yes?
i was going to get Mobil 1 or Coastal

Wheel Bearings Manual says: Lithium base grease (hi-temp high speed)
There is a few options out there, i have found Amsoil hi-temp Red is a good option

Birfields Manual says: Molly base grease (heavy duty friction sliding)
I was thinking about HD Green Grease or Amsoil Moly HD purple grease. I might get these packed from a square hole on top, and grease up bearings later

Shaft Lube Manual says: Molly base grease (heavy duty friction sliding)
I tried moving my shaft, and it moves about .5-.75" or so, seems like it might be normal. But it feels like its dry. I will be dropping the shafts and getting them lubed.
I was thinking any type of Molly lube, just use what ever molly, amsoil red, mobil 1 valvoline

U-Joints Manual says: (im not sure...)
Im Guessing U-joints are Friction sliding since they dont have any bearing movement?? so im thinking pack them with any Molly and it should be good to go

Hopefully with some replys to this thread ill make my final decision on all the fluids grease choices

Edit:

My decision will be made here after more searching

TRANNY FLUID Mobil 1 ATF Dexton II/III

TRANSFER CASE Mobil 1 75W-90

FRONT/REAR DIFFERENTIAL Mobil 1 75W-90

WHEEL BEARINGS Mobile 1 High temp bearing grease

BIRFIELDS Mobil 1 Heavy Duty grease

SHAFT LUBE Mobile 1 High temp bearing grease

U-JOINTS Mobile 1 High temp bearing grease

Last edited:
you know your stuff. go with that for now, change as you see fit.

For transfer/differentials - either use 75w-90 all around like you said, or use 75w-90 in the transfer and 80w-90 in the diffs. I went with 75w-90 mobil1 in the transfer, its only 2 qts, and valvoline 80w-90 in the diffs for the first change. best way to keep clean oils in your truck is to change them frequently. eventually i plan to have 100% synthetics in my truck, but went dino for the first run in many places. later switching to synth.

amsoil is expensive stuff for grease, i would recommend maybe valvoline or mobil1. i wouldnt worry too much about synthetics for the grease, get whatever is cheap (IMO). synthetic greases are much thicker than their non-synthetic counterparts, and there are people on here that hypothesize it is in fact too thick to work into all the moving parts. just put any moly in the u-joints.

congrats :flipoff2:

you know your stuff. go with that for now, change as you see fit.

For transfer/differentials - either use 75w-90 all around like you said, or use 75w-90 in the transfer and 80w-90 in the diffs. I went with 75w-90 mobil1 in the transfer, its only 2 qts, and valvoline 80w-90 in the diffs for the first change. best way to keep clean oils in your truck is to change them frequently. eventually i plan to have 100% synthetics in my truck, but went dino for the first run in many places. later switching to synth.

amsoil is expensive stuff for grease, i would recommend maybe valvoline or mobil1. i wouldnt worry too much about synthetics for the grease, get whatever is cheap (IMO). synthetic greases are much thicker than their non-synthetic counterparts, and there are people on here that hypothesize it is in fact too thick to work into all the moving parts. just put any moly in the u-joints.

congrats :flipoff2:

I use everything synthetic except grease, on that department I use cheap but try to find a brand name. I have used synthetic for over 20 years and don't regret it.:cheers:

I use Amsoil for everything, but I keep it simple.

ATM 10W30 for motor oil
AGL 80W90 for gear oil in all 3 diffs
ATF in the tranny and power steering
GHD moly fortified for ALL bearings and knuckles
GLC spray grease for door hinges, wheel studs, gazillion things

GHD also great for lubing bolts before going back in, filling electrical connectors that are prone to water (spray grease for all other connectors).

I was in store shopping for Dexron III ATF for power steering, and noticed that most of them are labeled as Dex/Merc. Make sure you read the fine print for Dexron II/III compatibility. I believe the Dexron VI can not be used where the Dexron II/III is called.

I use Amsoil for everything, but I keep it simple.

Where do you guys shop for Amsoil? I found a group buy place online, it isn't cheap (at least to me). EG. $108 for a case of 12 QT Amsoil ATF.

I was in store shopping for Dexron III ATF for power steering, and noticed that most of them are labeled as Dex/Merc. Make sure you read the fine print for Dexron II/III compatibility. I believe the Dexron VI can not be used where the Dexron II/III is called.

Where do you guys shop for Amsoil? I found a group buy place online, it isn't cheap (at least to me). EG. $108 for a case of 12 QT Amsoil ATF.

All of the Dexron ATF fluids are backwards compatible.

I just order my Amsoil online. No, it's not cheap. I have only used their products for the transmission and power steering ATF.

"Wheel Bearings Manual says: Lithium base grease (hi-temp high speed)
There is a few options out there, i have found Amsoil hi-temp Red is a good option, and also these bearings can be packed from a square fill hole on top, havent yet done so myself.

I was thinking about HD Green Grease or Amsoil Moly HD purple grease. I dont think these can be packed from any holes or anything, but i dont know if i want to take apart my axles to pack them since they are not giving me any trouble or anything"

This is backwards. You can add additional grease to the birf via the square fill plug that is built into the knuckle. The wheel bearings can not.

Buck

"Wheel Bearings Manual says: Lithium base grease (hi-temp high speed)
There is a few options out there, i have found Amsoil hi-temp Red is a good option, and also these bearings can be packed from a square fill hole on top, havent yet done so myself.

I was thinking about HD Green Grease or Amsoil Moly HD purple grease. I dont think these can be packed from any holes or anything, but i dont know if i want to take apart my axles to pack them since they are not giving me any trouble or anything"

This is backwards. You can add additional grease to the birf via the square fill plug that is built into the knuckle. The wheel bearings can not.

Buck

oh oops thanks for correction :)

u joints have needle bearings inside. I don't think you want Moly, but rather "regular" lithium based grease.
but I believe that greasing them often with decent grease is more important than *which* grease you use.

try to avoid mixing grease as that can create issues.

u joints have needle bearings inside. I don't think you want Moly, but rather "regular" lithium based grease.

I had this very discussion with an Amsoil engineer many moons ago. There was all this talk about moly grease causing bearings to slide rather than roll way back when on the 80sCool list. The long and the short of it is it is POSSIBLE for this to happen in laboratory conditions based on the amount of moly added to the grease. However I made the decision years ago that the underside of my truck is very far from a laboratory. I have been using moly grease (Amsoil GHD) on wheel bearings and universal joints for the last 8 or so years. I'm still on my original front universal joints with just a touch over 200K miles. Amsoil GHD is specifically recommended for wheel bearings in the technical description. That’s good enough for me.

I really see no reason to have more than one grease in the garage at this point.

Updated my list, scroll to the very top, seems like ill be picking up all M1 oil, and grease, thats if i can find them all being M1 :)

TRANNY FLUID Mobil 1 ATF Dexton II/III 4qts

TRANSFER CASE Mobil 1 75W-90 1.8qts

FRONT/REAR DIFFERENTIAL Mobil 1 75W-90 6qts total

WHEEL BEARINGS Mobile 1 High temp bearing grease

SHAFT LUBE Mobile 1 High temp bearing grease

U-JOINTS Mobile 1 High temp bearing grease

BIRFIELDS Mobil 1 Heavy Duty grease

Can you guys help me out how much Grease i should pick up? manual didnt say anything about how much it takes empty and how much to repack.

i was thinking 3 tubes of Mobil 1 High temp and 2 tubes of heavy duty?

Since i will pack birfields from the top square hole, i might need half to 1 tubes per wheel yes?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom