Thread Specs for OEM Oil Pressure Gauge Sender? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nothing on any Toyota is NPT. If it’s a tapered threaded hole, is BSPT. Close but different enough to not quite fit.

Just by looking at photos and knowing how it screws in, it looks tapered to me

2C003DB0-4F15-49BA-91CA-01C14B523250.jpeg

@OSS, I think your BSPT tip is the winner. It does look tapered. Presuming it is BSPT, this looks like the product I need: Amazon product ASIN B071PF53LP 1/8 BSPT male with three ports (2x 1/8 NPT, 1x1/8 BSPT). This lets me use the sender tap, connect the NPT oil pressure sensor, the NPT low oil pressure sender, and the BSPT OEM oil gauge sender in one matrix.

What say you, professor?

Reactions: OSS
What type of Oil Pressure gauge are you using? Mechanical or Electrical ?

What's the appx size of the sender (overall)? The Autometer one I plan to use is 7.5x5.5 inches. A bit large to just stick in that limited space by the oil cooler and filter just using a 1/8 BP tapered to a 1/8 NPT ... I was thinking of using a couple feet of braided stainless line to move the sender onto the fender or otherwise out of the way ...

Autometer sender:

s-l300.jpg

What's the appx size of the sender (overall)? The Autometer one I plan to use is 7.5x5.5 inches. A bit large to just stick in that limited space by the oil cooler and filter just using a 1/8 BP tapered to a 1/8 NPT ... I was thinking of using a couple feet of braided stainless line to move the sender onto the fender or otherwise out of the way ...

Autometer sender:

s-l300.jpg
The Glowshifter sender for the pressure gauge is far smaller. You can see it in the photo that shows all the parts. Amazon product ASIN B007IKSGEM
You can see here that @db3 did what you describe. Low Oil Pressure & High Temp Alarm - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/low-oil-pressure-high-temp-alarm.1144151/#post-14042276 I'm just uncomfortable with such a significant change to such a critical system. I want to keep it all solid metal fittings/adapters.

Last edited:
The Glowshifter sender for the pressure gauge is far smaller. You can see it in the photo that shows all the parts. Amazon product ASIN B007IKSGEM
You can see here that @db3 did what you describe. Low Oil Pressure & High Temp Alarm - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/low-oil-pressure-high-temp-alarm.1144151/#post-14042276 I'm just uncomfortable with such a significant change to such a critical system. I want to keep it all solid metal fittings/adapters.

I feel the same way, but I'm not too worried about a couple feet of Stainless braided tubing that I would also cover with quality split loom or rubber hose.

Don't know why the Autometer sender is so large, but they are known for accurate readings and reliability. My other gauges are all Autometer so want to stay the same.

its a J.I.S. Taper Pipe thread tap needed .........

the tech is : 1/8 -28 JIS

the BSP will get you by most likely , and i have gotton by too with one , but . finally invested in JIS tap and dies set a while back

notable and well NOTABLE difference for the better !

how ever JIS has MORE taper then a BSP by a small but notable amount ........

the BSP will get you by most likely , and i have gotton by too with one , but . finally invested in JIS tap and dies set a while back

It that perhaps JIC rather than JIS?

I thought 1/8-28 is BPT. 1/8 - 27 is SAE

JIS is Japanese Industrial standard

I feel the same way, but I'm not too worried about a couple feet of Stainless braided tubing that I would also cover with quality split loom or rubber hose.

Don't know why the Autometer sender is so large, but they are known for accurate readings and reliability. My other gauges are all Autometer so want to stay the same.
I don't blame you.

Can you provide more detail on "NOTABLE difference" please?

NO TOYOTA Engine block or Cylinder head or gear box or axle , has Taped Female threads i am aware of ,

ONLY and always i have noticed the Sensor , sender , switch , or any part like a Fluid fitting for example has the MALE Tapered threads ONLY

if a sensor sender or any above part that attaches to a Toyota PRIMAY major parts application like a engine or transmission transfer-case or axle housing has STRAIGHT threads ? \

there are INDEED 2 scenarios :

- 1 : a copper or aluminum or steel CRUSH ring is used to make a seal and retain torque yield

- 2 : a inside Female beveled surface mates with a MALE beveled surface to form a torque yield fluid or air proof seal much like a feral and compression nut on a FUEL line from pump outlet to carb inlet

if im in-correct here ? 🤔

please chime in with a concrete example of the opposite scenario ?

i also have never seen a DOUBLE tapered mating threads situation or application on any Toyota ?

here is what i refer to in a TECH Diagram , out of a T-TEN Student Course book of basic fundamentals etc .......

index3333.png

NO TOYOTA Engine block or Cylinder head or gear box or axle , has Taped Female threads i am aware of ,

ONLY and always i have noticed the Sensor , sender , switch , or any part like a Fluid fitting for example has the MALE Tapered threads ONLY

if a sensor sender or any above part that attaches to a Toyota PRIMAY major parts application like a engine or transmission transfer-case or axle housing has STRAIGHT threads ? \

there are INDEED 2 scenarios :

- 1 : a copper or aluminum or steel CRUSH ring is used to make a seal and retain torque yield

- 2 : a inside Female beveled surface mates with a MALE beveled surface to form a torque yield fluid or air proof seal much like a feral and compression nut on a FUEL line from pump outlet to carb inlet

if im in-correct here ? 🤔

please chime in with a concrete example of the opposite scenario ?

i also have never seen a DOUBLE tapered mating threads situation or application on any Toyota ?

here is what i refer to in a TECH Diagram , out of a T-TEN Student Course book of basic fundamentals etc .......

Thank you for the contribution of information. It is curious that the sender appears to have a tapered thread, yet no crush ring appears visible. In fact, some threads are still visible as shown in your diagram.

Thank you for the contribution of information. It is curious that the sender appears to have a tapered thread, yet no crush ring appears visible. In fact, some threads are still visible as shown in your diagram.

NO crush rings are involved in any Toyota TAPER male threads i have ever seen or know of ............

ONLY toyota Straight threads like service plugs have crush rings / gaskets to be clear

do you follow the TECH with what in saying here ?

if not i can try to better explain

matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom