Thread size of A/C suction port (low side) fittings - metric or not? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
eurasiaoverland.com
I'm investigating getting new AC hoses made for my non-US 60 series.

The thin high side lines linking the condenser, dryer and expansion valve are metric, M14 x 1.5.

The low side fittings however are a bit of a mystery. I only have metric tools and the 1.75 mm side of my thread file sits in the threads of the low side fittings, but does not quite feel right. To my metric eye they seem to be an M22 x 1.75, but that's an odd size not listed in any metric A/C fittings site. It's a #12 reduce barrier hose size, or close enough.

M22 x 1.75 seems very close to a 7/8" 14 (I assume this means 14 threads per inch) which in metric would be about 22.2 x 1.81.

Can anyone confirm that the fitting is not metric?

Thanks!

EO

Last edited:
@Eurasiaoverland I don't know about you BJ60, and I am certainly not the authority on this, but I was very frustrated with replacing all my hoses last summer. I looked back and all I can tell from the Cold Hose info is the smaller hose fittings are all M14 x 1.5 and the larger, like the compressor end of the hose going to the condenser is 3/4" - 16.
That might be your hose end your looking for? Cold hose calls it a #8. The M14 they call a #6 in their metric section. Confusing but the hose I had made locally, one of the long ones from compressor to Evaporator also had English ends on it assuming that 3/4 -16. They also had the red end caps.....instead of the blue for metric.
Hope this helps

@Eurasiaoverland I don't know about you BJ60, and I am certainly not the authority on this, but I was very frustrated with replacing all my hoses last summer. I looked back and all I can tell from the Cold Hose info is the smaller hose fittings are all M14 x 1.5 and the larger, like the compressor end of the hose going to the condenser is 3/4" - 16.
That might be your hose end your looking for? Cold hose calls it a #8. The M14 they call a #6 in their metric section. Confusing but the hose I had made locally, one of the long ones from compressor to Evaporator also had English ends on it assuming that 3/4 -16. They also had the red end caps.....instead of the blue for metric.
Hope this helps

Thanks - there was a typo and I meant M14 x 1.5 - I have corrected this.

I'll check whether the 1/2" (#8) compressor to condenser hose has M18 metric fittings or could be 3/4"-16.

The question though is about the really wide suction hose which is either M22 or 7/8"-16. Looking at the photos you posted of your hoses, I suspect that your early model did not use this size.

Thanks

EO

soooo, from what I've seen, the smaller hoses are metric and bigger are "standard". At least standard from a US perspective. I have a vintage air universal hose kit and the larger fittings threaded right onto the firewall.

Thanks - there was a typo and I meant M14 x 1.5 - I have corrected this.

I'll check whether the 1/2" (#8) compressor to condenser hose has M18 metric fittings or could be 3/4"-16.

The question though is about the really wide suction hose which is either M22 or 7/8"-16. Looking at the photos you posted of your hoses, I suspect that your early model did not use this size.

Thanks

EO

Having checked, the fitting is 19 mm wide or so, so definitely not M18. I'm pretty certain that it is 3/4"-16, which would then be consistent with the #8 hose size.

soooo, from what I've seen, the smaller hoses are metric and bigger are "standard". At least standard from a US perspective. I have a vintage air universal hose kit and the larger fittings threaded right onto the firewall.
Yes, that is exactly what I am concluding from more careful measurement. I think I assumed that Toyota would be metric and went straight to the metric fittings section.

Below is a screengrab of the EPC for O-rings on a late 1980s/early 1990s model (in this case a LN106 Hilux - for whatever reason this is not listed in the Landcruiser EPC). The 'SIZE' column is interesting, though the 'LIQUID' hose size (5/16"; used for condenser -> dryer -> expansion valve) is listed as '#6' on all sources I have seen. Hose sizes 1 and 3 are fully Imperial (British term for inches etc), whereas Hose size 2, so called '#8', is definitely on a M14x1.5 thread.

1680879110935.png

EO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom