Thoughts son my first Birfield job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just now finished servicing both Birfs and replacing the knuckle bearings on my 96 LX450. At 109K miles they were in pretty good shape - I didn't try to disassemble the Birfs themselves, since that seems to be a real PITA. This was my first time, so I was a little concerned at the start.

The job itself didn't strike me as too bad, but the parts cleanup is a horrible experience. I have a cheapy 20 gallon Harbor Freight parts washer that can only take water based degreasers, and for a job like this it is totally hopeless. I ended up pouring a gallon of mineral spirits into a 3 gallon bucket and scrubbing all the parts in there.

Can someone tell me why a sealed u-joint type shaft can't be used in this axle? I would rather pull the shafts and put new u joints in every 60K miles than go through this messy routine.

Thanks C-Dan for the parts - I suggest you add 2 ABS sensor o-rings to your standard Birf list. I would have put new ones on if I had them.

John Davies

John E Davies said:
The job itself didn't strike me as too bad, but the parts cleanup is a horrible experience. I have a cheapy 20 gallon Harbor Freight parts washer that can only take water based degreasers, and for a job like this it is

I dumped mineral spirirts in my Harbor Freight washer. Its doing fine three months later.

John E Davies said:
Can someone tell me why a sealed u-joint type shaft can't be used in this axle? I would rather pull the shafts and put new u joints in every 60K miles than go through this messy routine.
Oh it definetly could, would just have to come up with axle lengths and diameters to correctly rub on the brass bushings and all that.

Personally I think Toyota should have used the birf but then put a rubber boot over it, so a normal CV joint, pack it full of good grease at the factory and with a airtight rubber boot it'd be good probably until you broke it (or atleast 200K+ miles like other car-style CV joints)...or the rubber dried out, in either case it'd be better I think than what's there...oh well...

Hi John:

Congrats on a job well done :beer:

If it is any consolation, this was the first job I ever did on my vehicle and the first job beyond an oil change on any vehicle...late start for me.

I'm going to be redoing mine at the end of the summer to see what type of work I did a year ago (early Oct. 2004) and to see what type of wear goes on in these front axles. I'm convinced after reading and reading in these forums that the front axles are monsters...of course, that being said, I don't do rocks and I am mainly a rough road/trail type of wheeler (if you can even call me that at this point... :rolleyes: ).

I want to use my first birf. job as a data point to see how far this thing can go. I know that interval is 30K for the wheel bearing repack and 60K for the full front end job, but I am at about 24K since Oct. 2004 and I think the time is ripe for me to go back in and see how the hell I really did...

This might seem like overkill PM activities (and Dan laughed at me--actually cackled outloud when I told him my plan), but as a newbie I really want to understand the limits and wear factors on these epic rigs...

Best.
-onur
Akron, oH

beno said:
I don't do rocks and I am mainly a rough road/trail type of wheeler

I am at about 24K since Oct. 2004 and I think the time is ripe for me to go back in and see how the hell I really did...

This might seem like overkill PM activities (and Dan laughed at me--actually cackled outloud when I told him my plan), but as a newbie I really want to understand the limits and wear factors on these epic rigs...

Well, I can understand why Dan laughed..... My axle had never been touched, other than gear oil changes and topping up the grease, and at 109K the only problem was leaking inner shaft seals and black gear oil. Everything else looked primo, except for some slight discoloration on the knuckle bearings.

My truck is a daily driver/ forest road rig that doesn't see serious abuse. I think that you will be throwing away cash and time when you go into the front axle at anything less than 60K intervals.

If you don't mind that.... feel free to go ahead andf build your database. I plan to let my Birfs go another 75K miles unless they show signs of distress.

John

John E Davies said:
Thanks C-Dan for the parts - I suggest you add 2 ABS sensor o-rings to your standard Birf list. I would have put new ones on if I had them.

John Davies

I would if they were serviced but the only way to get OEM ones is by buying the front ABS sensor/wiring harness assembly $$$$$$$$$

But, I can add that in if you like....... :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom