Thoughts on this truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That truck has been in the autotrader for a long time if that helps at all. I am pretty sure over 6 months anyway.

Really?....good to know...kinda suspected that by the fact that he has put it on special. He also says the price will change soon, raise it back up a $1000...a little pushy I'd say

Kinda suspicious since relative to other HDJ81 our there for import, it is pretty cheap

The guy doesnt feel that the BEBs need replacing, as long as you use the right oil.

Ask him how he feels about providing warranty service...

I must have used the wrong synthetic oil for the few thousand Km. I ran my '90 HDJ81 before changing the BEBs.

Img0006bs.jpg

See https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=97003

Great price for a rust free, fully serviced, BC compliant rig with warranty. But if the BEBs aren't done, then there are few here who would accept that it's "fully serviced".

that machine hasnt moved yet !

Considering purchasing, just seeing what others might think.

The guy doesnt feel that the BEBs need replacing, as long as you use the right oil.

Had the fuel pump replaced...$3000??? Thats what he said it cost to do it in Japan...seems high

likes or dislikes please

A fuel pump has some expensive parts. With labor and maybe injectors it could come close to that and remember ,most work done in Japan is done at the dealer or through the dealer.
Its just odd that it had to be done so soon when most of them are good for 2-300000 klms or more

I would go look at it ,speak to the seller. If its good, buy on condition the crank is good or tell him to add the BEB cost on top of the purchase price.

Certainly hasnt done much offroad use judging from the pics underneath.

Dont expect everyone to be as cruiser wise as the people on this board re BEB.

When my IP went I was quoted $3,000 CAN plus shipping for a reconditioned IP from Japan. I checked with Hiflo in Australia and they quoted me $1200 AUS plus shipping for a reconditioned pump which required me to ship back the core. The major difference is labor costs and volume.

I would seriously question the rest of the vehicle if he does not think the BEB is not an issue.

When my IP went I was quoted $3,000 CAN plus shipping for a reconditioned IP from Japan. I checked with Hiflo in Australia and they quoted me $1200 AUS plus shipping for a reconditioned pump which required me to ship back the core. The major difference is labor costs and volume.

I would seriously question the rest of the vehicle if he does not think the BEB is not an issue.

If you are talking about a Zexel pump on your Patrol ,they are cheaper by far and tend to need less work than the equivalent cruiser pump.

What was the shipping to oz worth?

No comparision posible neetween Panamá and Japan .. but here inyectors and pump in a recognized diesel lab cost about 1200 USD .. If you ask to me it's a pretty expensive price ( but I will pay it ) for me ..

Anycase it " looks " pretty for this price ..

How much you pay for a BEB's job in Canada . and Australia . ?

If you are talking about a Zexel pump on your Patrol ,they are cheaper by far and tend to need less work than the equivalent cruiser pump.

What was the shipping to oz worth?

Ummmm. Rosco, that is a nother story which might get me on a rant. Let's just say a shop here quoted me less (not in writing) and said they could get it done in 3 days. Well over two weeks later they presented me with a bill for $2,400. I argued and got them down to $2,000. But still am far from pleased. There is not $1400 labour to put a pump back on a truck - and they didn't even time it properly. Some shops just assume most people don't know sh*t about their vehicles and are willing to pay for their learning curve. :mad: Anyways, every deisel owner I know knows about my experience with their shop.

From Hiflo I ordered 6 new injectors and a CAVI filter assembly. The box could of fit an IP (but a fair bit heavier). The shipping cost was around $30. They were great to deal with. They always respond to questions quickly and are helpful with any technical questions I have. Maybe I could convince them to set-up shop in Abbotsford.:idea:

Tapage, I can't say about the BEB, as it is not an issue with the TD 4.2 Patrols/Safaris. Perhaps Greg or Wayne can respond for costs in Western Canada. I think $1,200 US for injectors and pump in a certified shop sounds pretty reasonable. I suspect your labour costs are a lot lower there.

LCdreamin, always ask about the last service to the injectors and pump. Its always nice to see receipts. Injectors are a regular maintenance item - for me every 120,000 kms. Pumps even on low kms trucks can start leaking or be worn depending on a number of factors depending on pump type and fuel. Wear problems can also be covered up pretty good by dealers and private sellers by using certain additives in the fuel. Leaks are a bit harder to cover up.:rolleyes:

How much you pay for a BEB's job in Canada . and Australia . ?

I paid a machine shop $200 to check/replace the BEB on my 75. (3 hours labor and parts) Everyone is happy except the tax man shh;)
It got a ticking noise days before a trip to ayers rock. I didnt have time so the price was too good to refuse.
Still have a ticking noise,only my ears can hear it:D

Last edited:
I paid a machine shop $200 to check/replace the BEB on my 75. (3 hours labor and parts) Everyone is happy except the tax man shh;)
It got a ticking noise days before a trip to ayers rock. I didnt have time so the price was too good to refuse.
Still have a ticking noise,only my ears can hear it:D

200 Bucks sound a fair price .. but here not gonna be 3 labour job .. at least one day or 2 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom