Thoughts on this noise... 2005 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any ideas on this noise? It's that pulsing, wooshing sound in the background of the engine running. Been sounding like this for a while. Maybe a wearing fan clutch? Haven't had the time to take off the serp belt to properly troubleshoot... but wondering if there's any initial opinions before I tackle that? Thanks

sounds like a diesel.. I'll keep it!

Spent a bit more time with it this morning. On a cold start I can't hear the noise. After waiting a bit for it to warm up I am then able to hear it.

So, then I shut the engine off. Started it back up, (on a warm engine), and the noise is immediately noticeable. Shut off the engine and observed the fan continues to spin quite a bit before stopping - which from some searching is a sign of a bad fan clutch. Included a video of this below.

So I think I need a new fan clutch, and I'm hoping that it is the cause of the noise as well. How risky is it to continue to drive with a bad fan clutch?

Plenty of bmw drivers keep going until the belt is wrapped around the front crank. Your mileage may vary.
Care more about the bearing than the clutch.

You should take the belt off and check all the pulleys.
Plenty of info online about checking pulleys and coil packs exhaust ticks etc.

edit I watched your vid, new clutch needed, but that isn't the sound you're concerned about.

Last edited:
It's getting to summer so good cooling is a must.

could also be the fan bracket

totally up to you if you want to keep driving, BUT, if it lets loose you will need lots more parts, most likely a radiator

Thanks for the replies so far. I removed the serpentine belt, started it up, and that noise is still there! (As a side note my tensioner and idler are a bit grindy sounding when spinning manually, so I'll probably replace those.)

Next I pulled all 8 coil packs, I don't see any cracks / splits or in them. One of the rubber boots (closest to the top) was a little loose on 1 pack when I removed it, but I doubt that's the issue as it would be flush when screwed down.

Pulled the plugs while I had the coils out so for peace of mind I'll be putting new Denso's in instead of the old ones (threads were quite dirty). I'll also clean up the coils and the coil seating surface on the block as there was some beach sand in the area.

Based on the latest video with the noise still present with the serp belt off (see the previous post), I'm thinking the noise may actually be a small exhaust leak - either at the manifold or the connection between the manifold and cat pipe. Once I get everything back together I'll look into testing that theory.

I don't think the noise is from timing belt components as I had all that done a few months ago (including WP, TB tensioner and idler).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom