Thoughts on this Cruiser for sale. 7 pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Larry, BUY IT :D
Cheers,
Sean.

I bought my 1997 LC Blk w/tan 109k mi w/factory diff lock, 3CD in-dash changer for 15k.

Do not worry about the appearance of the chassis. That is normal. It looks good. No POS roof rack either :D .

D-

Wow, nice truck. I paid $17k5 in Washington state for a 95 - 68K miles, lockers - same except wood trim.

Buy it or I will and start importing them into Canada.

Larry,

Low miles, diff locks, power leather seats, good color, great exterior and interior condition. Top rad hose clamp is original. No indication the valve cover has been off. Undercarriage looks normal in those photos. Has aftermarket shocks but that's not unusual. Spare looks like it hasn't been in the rotation.

You'll have to decide on the price as that's hard for us to help with. If it were me and the price was under $15k then I would consider it a great deal. Maybe go up to $17k if you can. The more you have to pay the more you might ask for in the way of maintenance records. Get everything you can. Make sure the Carfax checks out OK. It looks like a mall cruiser that probably never engaged the F&R diff locks. They not work when tested the first time. That's typical and may be a bargaining point for you when you go test drive the vehicle.

Read Christo's buying guide and good luck!

-B-

Thanks for the replies!

I'm going to fly over on friday if they still have it for sale. Friends test drove it for me this weekend. Everything seemed tight and worked as expected... and no clicking from the birfs.

The Carfax checks out. I'm signed up for another month if anyone needs me a report for them.

I wonder if I have to pay CA taxes if I live in Az?

I paid 20k for a 97 with 47k miles on it....w/lockers. That thing looks spotless...underside,, heck I'd eat off of it. Anyone here know...I bought mine out of the East coast, as it would have been 25k in California. It does have a thick black super gooey undercoating all over ...is that an aftermarket thing? I've heard it was used here and there at east coast dealers??? Sorry 'bout the thread hijack. This Cali car has a metal, non-coated underside, and mine is black and really like an 1/8 inch or so thick...like tar..??..

Looks like it's in good shape. Mine had the same bar on teh front. I was told to paint it rainbow and sell it to a jeeper. :-*

By the way, I just picked up a 1997 80, with lockers for $12k from Junk's neighborhood.

I paid $14K for a '94 with 72K miles on it -- no lockers (don't care) and the original/only owner was my best friend's dad (a urologist) who drove it only to and from work (was his second car) --

-- had receipts of all service since birth, at a Yota dealership, plus this 80 was always garaged -- body perfect

eric

[quote author=erics_bruiser link=board=2;threadid=5921;start=msg47937#msg47937 date=1065473998]
I paid $14K for a '94 with 72K miles on it -- no lockers (don't care) and the original/only owner was my best friend's dad (a urologist) who drove it only to and from work (was his second car) --

-- had receipts of all service since birth, at a Yota dealership, plus this 80 was always garaged -- body perfect

eric
[/quote]

PS -- this vehicle still strikes me in awe -- no roof-rack, no foot-runners, and a real, real beauty -- I can't say enough about 80s -- I have loved them for 12 years, starting back when I couldn't afford them!

Larry,

>> I wonder if I have to pay CA taxes if I live in Az <<

I don't think so but that's partly up to you. Basically the "rule" is that you have to pay sales tax either in the state where you bought it or in your state. In most cases you get to make the decision (but you cannot make the decision to NOT pay.)

I bought mine in AZ and I live in NM. The sales taxes are cheaper here so I told the dealer and he did not add sales tax but the title transfer papers clearly indicated that I would be responsible for paying the NM sales taxes. Save a few hundred that way.

I'm not sure how that would work in the very few states that have no sales tax (Oregon ?) My guess is that they have an exhorbitant registration fee to make up for the sales tax.

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=5921;start=msg47978#msg47978 date=1065479315]

I'm not sure how that would work in the very few states that have no sales tax (Oregon ?) My guess is that they have an exhorbitant registration fee to make up for the sales tax.

-B-

[/quote]

In Oregon license fees are about $40 a year, no other extra fees, etc, and no tax when you purchase your vehicle. Of course your kids won't get much of an education and they laid off half of the State Patrol last year (perrenial state budget shortfalls). If you live in Washington and buy an Oregon vehicle you pay tax (7.6%)to WA state when you register/license it in WA.

Paid a little over 18k for mine. 96 with 66k, lockers. Had two prev female owners who used it for soccer games. I also was lucky, they both kept up with having the dealership do the prev maintenance on it. Oh and this was out of Nebraska....

Cheers! :beer:

Got mine for 11.5K, 1996 with 120k miles. Dark green with grey leather. Bone stock, great service history and very minor cosmetic issues. I did have to replace the alternator and belts and my lockers don't work. I'm hoping the information I gathered from lurking around here the past few days will help me to find that gremlin this weekend :)

Thoughts on this Cruiser - SOLD -

Well it looks like my search goes on.

Purchased plane tickets to Cali last night, called the place today and was told the cruiser had sold the day before. Luckily the tickets are refundable.

I'm tired of looking. :'(

Larry,
Stick to your plan. The '04 models are coming out and the auto manufacturers are giving big incentives. More used 80s will hit the streets each day.

We will all keep an eye out. I was looking for one for a local club member and he found one a few weeks ago. I'll start looking for you...

Word of advice: Don't wait 'till the weekend to fly somewhere. If the deal is right (over the phone) then call in sick and catch the next plane. Your future Cruiser deserves no less. :D

-B-

B -
Thanks for the words. I'm not giving up. I've recently extended my search area and know I will find one soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom