Thoughts on this '87 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the market with fairly strict criteria. Looking for a mostly rust free, '85-'87, gray interior, mostly stock, and under 200K miles. I've been looking in the Northwest, California, Arizona, Texas. Willing to travel for the right rig. Then this one came up locally last week Friday. Seller got lots of interest right away but I was the first to see it and give him a refundable deposit to hold it. Seller left town for a week so was willing to hold it.

Verified 2 owners original California truck been in MT since 2000. Seller has had it since '97. 190,000 miles on a rebuilt engine. 32K on the rebuild. Seller has all documentation of rebuild. The seller also has documentation of new clutch and lots of engine maintenance over the years. New seals around all windows. New muffler in the last two years. Is currently getting the transfer case rebuilt and the knuckles done at local Toyota dealership. New Cooper tires. ARB bumper and Yakima roof rack with a basket.

Some drawbacks are it does have a 3" patch of rust above the right rear wheel. Frame rust (need some opinions on how bad), seller did a respray due to hail damage in 2016. No visible hail damage on the body but it is a respray. Carfax and Auto Check have some red flags concerning odometer readings and there was a minor accident in 2002 reportedly in the rear bumper. The current rear bumper does not have any dents. I'm a little concerned about inheriting a car with a poor Carfax record. Autocheck only scores it at a 39 not even in the basic range of 44-65.

I did inspect it and test drive it last week Friday. No visible rust in the A-pillar areas down through the drivers and passengers door sills. No visible rust on tailgate or lift gate. No visible rust on passenger door sills. The carpet is pretty clean but needs a proper steam cleaning along with the seats. I did not lift carpets around A-pillar and rear to inspect for rust but I plan too. Driver's seat has a small crack in the vinyl side but no tear in the fabric. No cracks in dash. A/C and heat blow solid through all levels. Radio does not work. Shifts smoothly and drives nicely. The engine bay is really clean. No rust, no leaks that I could detect from above. I did not shift into 4x4 but I plan to on the next test drive after the t-case rebuild.

Seller is asking $22K. This is a lot for me. My budget is about $20K. But I wonder if it's worth the stretch because it's in my backyard and I won't have to travel to pick one up. I can test drive and inspect it in person. I also wonder if the condition warrants the price. I know the market is whatever someone is willing to pay but I'm interested in Mudders thoughts. The bill from the dealership for the knuckles and transfer case rebuild is about $4k. This is being taken care of before he sells it.

I went down to the dealership while the transfer case and knuckles are in progress and snapped some photos while it is lifted.

Here is some c-channel and rear leaf spring/axle shots:

Did I say run? $22k really?:rofl:

Little rust (in the big picture), crummy respray - may be hidinig more filler that you don't see. Frame could be cleaned up, painted, greased, and left alone, or you could do the c-channel fix.

Nice enough truck and has good potential, but not $22K worth by any stretch. Check BaT for some comparable rigs.

Thanks for the feedback. I do know the seller fixed that rear left quarter panel at one point but a few rust bubbles are popping up so prep and paint were not well done. The respray worries me. Checking into it further, the power steering is leaking so will need a rebuild and tie rods need to be replaced as well. Any opinions on what a fair offer is?

Yep, what SteveH said...I wouldn't be concerned about that frame rust, but the respray doesn't look high quality at all so that's a major deduction. Big plus on the knuckle and transfer case undergoing rebuild at the Toyota dealer. I think $15K tops, personally. For $20K, I would expect a much cleaner and sorted out truck. And yep, BringaTrailer. The user comments during auction usually do a good job of vetting out issues or weaknesses in the vehicle being auctioned. Be patient, the right one will come along.

The 60 market is nuts, but $20k generally buys a very nice truck, often rust free (@Bama4door, you still looking at selling?). Fair prices seem to vary regionally, but that's a $7-8k truck to me...the orange peel respray smoked it, and good body/paintwork is $$$.

These things are pretty simple mechanically, and thus are apt to run a long time if fed with good oil and fuel. Rubber dies from age more than miles, and all of these things are at least 30 years old now.

Even here in overpriced California, they would never get 20k for a truck in that condition. :cheers:

Yeah 20K for that is crazy money. Paid half that for my '84 rust free in Texas. Re-painted as well, but without the orange peel finish. Had all new AC, new clutch, rear main seal, carb rebuild, tune, etc and new tires. Attached for comparison:

I know the lure of a local no fuss sale is there, but I wouldn't let that sway me into buying something you will deeply regret later on. Sounds like you are serious about getting one of these, so I would get yourself prepared for a trip to find the right one. I think you could find something much better, even with the cost of traveling to get it factored in, and still come out cheaper than this rig. I know the market is nuts for these right now, but only because folks pay whatever is asked. I'll agree with the others here: 7K tops for me and I would prolly pass on the rust and re-paint alone. The rust you can see no doubt pales in comparison to the rust you can't repainted like that. The rust is definitely not the worst I have seen, so its manageable. But the point is you will have to manage it. For 20K, no thanks. Keep looking. Remember, the market is littered with stories of guy/gals buying these rigs without knowing what they are getting into with them, only to later unload them. To some they seem like unicorns and the one they are looking at is the only one available. Not true. The right one is out there and you will find it. You'll thank yourself later.

Last edited:
Robert nice FJ! I appreciate you taking the time. Wise words and I need to keep this in mind moving forward. Local sale is so tempting but your right I do need to prepare to travel and the right one will appear as long as I am patient.

no no no no....

I gave $4250 for this....175k original miles. Was in 2012 + values have gone up obviously ...but still.
IMG_20181110_164402.jpg
IMG_20181110_164452.jpg

Very suspicious paint job

as the Monty Pythons would say......Run awayyy~~~~~~~~:banana:

Negatron on the 22K

opinions are like elbows and s$$holes - you probably don't need any more feedback than what's been posted above...but yeah...that truck would be a better deal at $10K. that is nowhere near a $20K truck.

seller might want top dollar for a laundry list of reasons - but that orange-peely paint job, with overspray showing on the frame/body mounts inside the wheel arches... there's no way this truck can go for 20K.

keep looking.

this truck used to live in MT - i remember seeing it on some craigslist ads for billings/bozeman maybe? it's for sale again in eastern washington

here's what 17K gets you in seattle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom