Thoughts on Sierra Designs tent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-302-yahi-6.aspx

Anybody have any experience with Sierra Designs tents? I found a model I like better for $450. This model is usually $400 but is on sale right now for $200. I have a growing family of 4 and would like a tent that will stand up to wind and rain.

As a brand Sierra Designs is supposed to be good right?

I've had my SD t tent for 5 or 6 years and love it. You will really like the clips, they are so much easier than threading poles through sleeves. The quality and construction of my tent is very good.

Sent via the ether from my candy bar running ginger bread

I have an older SD 2-person, 3-season. I don't remember the model. I'd call it OK. Nothing special. You're link is to a 6-person tent. that's pretty big. Have you considered something like a Springbar?

I have a 10 year old SD tent, the Hercules AST.
Love it, used it in all conditions, still use it, just not backpacking anymore.
It was a top end small winter tent designed for high wind conditions though, a long way from the type of tent you are looking at.

I was a big fan of their stuff in the late 90's early 2000's. The recent stuff doesn't look as tough- like they shipped manufacturing and might have cut corners to fit in with more commercial brands (like North Face did).
I haven't heard anything specifically wrong with SD tents now, but they also aren't at the top of most "pick" lists.
For half off, it is probably a good deal on a family tent.

I have a 10 year old SD tent, the Hercules AST.
Love it, used it in all conditions, still use it, just not backpacking anymore.
It was a top end small winter tent designed for high wind conditions though, a long way from the type of tent you are looking at.

I was a big fan of their stuff in the late 90's early 2000's. The recent stuff doesn't look as tough- like they shipped manufacturing and might have cut corners to fit in with more commercial brands (like North Face did).
I haven't heard anything specifically wrong with SD tents now, but they also aren't at the top of most "pick" lists.
For half off, it is probably a good deal on a family tent.

Some people on the net say the Sierra Designs quality has come down in the last few years.

My goal is to have a family tent that will fit a pack-n-play, a queen size air mattress, and a cot for my son. Also have the idea of finding an older model on sale for around $200 if possible. A Costco special might work but would rather find an older quality tent on sale.

I measure in at 6'4" and this particular Sierra designs is 6'2" as well as the tents below

Some other tents that I like except for the budget....

REI Base Camp 6 $419
http://www.rei.com/product/777755/rei-base-camp-6-tent

Marmot Lime Stone 6P $449
http://www.rei.com/product/810030/marmot-limestone-6p-tent

REI Hobitat 6 2011 at REI Outlet $260
http://www.rei.com/product/842717/rei-hobitat-6-tent-2011-overstock

Last edited:
I have an older SD 2-person, 3-season. I don't remember the model. I'd call it OK. Nothing special. You're link is to a 6-person tent. that's pretty big. Have you considered something like a Springbar?

I like both the Springbar and Kodiak but I do not want Canvas. Pretty sweet you can run a stove!

In Washington State rain is usually guaranteed to be part of the fun. I'm not sure that we will have a good place to dry a canvas tent out once returning home. If we had a large garage then it would certainly be a consideration.

I've had my SD t tent for 5 or 6 years and love it. You will really like the clips, they are so much easier than threading poles through sleeves. The quality and construction of my tent is very good.

Sent via the ether from my candy bar running ginger bread

It might be worth the chance...Amazon now has it on Prime...2 day shipping free! $220

Sierra Design is pretty bullet proof an if they are like any other of the quality manufactures out there they will fix any faulty seams, zippers etc for the life of the tent. May I suggest looking at Big Agnes tents as well, another high quality manufacturer that make some really nice family tents.

I don't think you can go wrong with it. There is a ton of space in that thing. REI should carry that model, so if there is a store near by you could always go and set it up and see how it works for you. I have two Big Agnes tents, a solo and a three person tent. Have spend a good deal of time during all 4 seasons up in the mountains of North Georgia in both and only had one issue with my solo tent. The zipper on the fly was gunked up due to mud splattering up during a rainstorm and I tried to gorilla grip it open instead of just rinse with some water. Either way, Big Agnes fixed it for me at no charge. (The plus with REI is that you can always take gear back if there is a problem as well).

I have been eying the REI Hobitat 4. Looks to be very well made and the vertical walls definitely increases available room space. Add the garage and you have a very versatile wet weather tent.

I have the Marmot Halo 6 and love it. Plenty of room, never leaks, awesome construction. Take a look at it.

I have been eying the REI Hobitat 4. Looks to be very well made and the vertical walls definitely increases available room space. Add the garage and you have a very versatile wet weather tent.

Watch REI Outlet..right now the Hobitat 6 is 25% off.

I have had a SD Strecth dome for over 15 yrs. . They make good stuff. My only concern might be the plastic connoctors where the poles attach on roof. If one of those break you are pretty much screwed. Eureka makes some quality tents also and are Made in U.S.A

Forgot to mention I have the Eureka Equinox 6. 6'7 center height and near vertical walls are nice! Its been through everything and held up well for 5 years of campin with 2 labs. lol. Had one zipper fail and Eureka sent me new one free. :) I use a tarp under my tent and wool army blankets on floor inside. Protects floor and is just plain nice!

Appreciate all the excellent advice of fellow Mudders and really value your opinions. :)

If price were no object I would have ordered the Marmot Halo 6P...hands down an awesome tent.

REI Outlet has the Big Agnes King Creek 6 Person for 50% discount $233 along with the ground tarp at a 50% discount for $29. This tent has a 110 square foot vestibule area...great for the rainy Northwest!

REI has a 100% satisfaction guarantee so we have an excellent warranty.

Thanks again for all of the help ;)

Big Agnes King Creek.jpg

Yes its a bit expensive but worth every penny. Here is my set up from last summer.

Land Crusier 3.jpg

marmot .jpg

marmot 2.jpg

Sinister said:
Yes its a bit expensive but worth every penny. Here is my set up from last summer.

Looks like an excellent LandCruiser comercial!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom