Thoughts on rebuilding leaf springs? (1 Viewer)

Rebuild OME mediums or new lift?

• Rebuild spring packs (no additional leaf & keep medium duty)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell used lift to fund new lift (how much could I realistically get?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GMSilk_Fj60

SILVER Star
Threads
I purchased a Fj60 with a pretty decent lift set up (OME Dakar ~ 3" mediums) with anti-inversion shackles. I think I will need to get new shocks and steering stabilizer as well as bushings. My stock Fj60 springs are stock height (already have load springs) but I'd like to get rid of them.

Does it make sense to take them to a spring shop and have them rebuild them? I have an ARB, slide bars and a full size rack so I was thinking of having them add a heavy leaf.

The springs are "free" so the money I put into the rebuild is the cost. Of course my other option is just buy a new lift (which as we all know is spendy...). Opinions please!

As an aside, any dead springs will be tossed into my forge and made into a Land Cruiser knife set. The Mrs. actually thinks its a pretty cool idea... There is no wasted metal to a blacksmith.

Yep. Sorry for the confusion. I have one parts 60 that I got nearly free that basically only has only the suspension left after tear down (anybody want the body panels cheap? MD area). Anyway I am going to take the suspension off of the lifted parts 60 and put it on my daily driver 60... or go the other route of new suspension.

Am I more clear now?

Swap the springs and run 'em. Then you'll have more information to make a decision if you need new springs or not. There's not really much to rebuild on leaf springs. Maybe clean them up and replace any friction pads if they have them. New center pins are always a good idea when the springs are out of the vehicle.

Your screen name confuses me. What, exactly, are Jepps and why do you hate them?

I believe he is a Pilot and Jepps = Jeppesen Charts, paper aviation navigation charts (maps).

Allen

new center pins is a great bit of advice.

Your screen name confuses me. What, exactly, are Jepps and why do you hate them?

I wish it was that creative. 12 years ago i made a typo "jepps" and "jeeps"... and so i've lived with it. Interestingly you are the first one to bring it up.

Thanks for the advice all. Dodge the new spring cost and run the old ones. Ill start the process this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom