Thoughts on locked hubs + 2H driving speed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WSOPgold2012

MoxieMan
SILVER Star
Threads
Curious as to whether or not it matters how fast I drive while hubs are locked but I'm not in 4wd. I've heard differing opinions.

Also, what would cause my rig to pop out of 4wdh occasionally?? Some days more often than others and always random.

Thanks

I think having the hubs locked just makes it handle worse and adds more wear. Lots of vehicles have them permanently locked. It's not ideal, but no worse than full time 4WD in my understanding. My '95 Tacoma had something advising you to drive it with the hubs locked once in a while to keep things moving, but that it was better to run without when in 2WD if you weren't expecting to use the 4WD. I don't sweat it.

Popping out of 4wd, I don't know how transfercases work, but in transmissions if you're popping out of gear it's usually a pretty serious issue. On motorcycles it can mean the dog clutches are worn and able to pop out. Someone more experienced should chime in here.

Not personally had the popping out of great issue, but from what I've read a common cause could be the linkage, so check that for play. Otherwise your gear teeth are probably on their way out. Doyou have a body lift?

You can drive at any speed (even on the freeway) with the hubs locked while in two wheel drive, but doing so spins everything in the front axle. The more is spins, the more it wears. Personally I didn't like driving with the hubs locked if I knew I wouldn't need them soon and I'd avoid driving over 50mph with them locked - but that was just me.
The 80 series Landcruiser has permanently locked hubs but has a differential gear in the transfer case (that can be locked) that allows the front & rear axles not to bind up with torsion. The 80 series birfield joints are similar to the 60 series, so that just goes to show that wear isn't an imminent threat when locking the hubs while in 2H in the 60.
But...
The if the front drivetrain is spinning constantly (especially for no good reason) things do wear out eventually.

AVOID if ever possible driving on dry asphalt when in 4WD. The transfer is poppIng out of 4WD probably because the engagement teeth on the clutch sleeve have worn over time and rounded a bit and are losing their grip.
To fix that, they need to be replaced during a transfer case overhaul.

You can always tie a strap to the passenger seat frame and lash the transfer lever back in 4WD so it won't pop out. Nothing wrong with that.

What OSS said... When there is not snow on the ground I will put the hubs in the LOCK position and run them around for a day or so. This is an old habit that was taught to me by an old cowboy who was convinced that it helped to keep the fluids in the front axle moving around and lubricating things. Didn't need to do it for long, maybe once ever month or so and that was good.

For me, once the first snow storm hits (this weekend was the first) I leave them locked until about Feb-March when we are pretty much guaranteed that we will no longer be getting anymore storms.

I live in the Sierras and wheel frequently. And drive in 2 Wheel drive with the hubs locked prob 95% of the time, 365 days a year...for many years. It’s not a problem to worry about.

What OSS said... When there is not snow on the ground I will put the hubs in the LOCK position and run them around for a day or so.

You can also just leave the hubs unlocked and shift into 4H and drive it for a bit that way. This stirs up the same grease.

Thanks a bunch guys....

The transfer is poppIng out of 4WD probably because the engagement teeth on the clutch sleeve have worn over time and rounded a bit and are losing their grip.
To fix that, they need to be replaced during a transfer case overhaul.

You can always tie a strap to the passenger seat frame and lash the transfer lever back in 4WD so it won't pop out. Nothing wrong with that.

Altho I love the simplistic strap suggestion 😂🤣🤣😆 Think I'd prefer the 'real fix'....what's a "transfer case overhaul" entail? Cost?

Tyvm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom