Thoughts on "higher mileage" 200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have a 99LC with 275K miles. I've had it for 3 years, I am the second owner, Texas truck and absolutely love it. It has cost me some $$$ though to get it where I have it, dreaded front diff issue, replaced master brake module and many other small things...but it runs like a top and is all up to date. I love the space, my kids enjoy the space and for traveling, I'm not sure there is anything better on the road today...except maybe the 200 series?

I'm considering getting a used 200 series, 08-10 with probably between 100K-130K miles for a daily driver back/forth and as a business vehicle. I don't want another money pit, but am considering taking the vehicle allowance and get a 200 series rather than the company vehicle. The allowance is decent and might get me an XLT Crewcab 2WD. After gas for the LX (based on the mileage I drive), $100 in maintenance...should leave me enough for that 08-10 LC. Afterwards, the truck will have some value to me and be an assett. Right now, I would get a basic company car/truck and while I would have no payment/maint/gas...I can't take it in the mountains/snow, etc.

Keep in mind, my wife and I both agree...we are keeping the 99LC!

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts...am I crazy? I've thought about keeping the allowance and driving my 99 around. I've always said if they offered an allowance, I'd take it and get an LC...well now the option is REAL.

Thoughts?

I like your plan and there's probably good options in the DFW metroplex for early 200s. I will let folks chime in with more technical considerations but I also went from owning a 100 to owning a 100 + a 200 and I love both; if there's an allowance that would allow you to buy another Land Cruiser? No brainer in my humble opinion.

I like your plan and there's probably good options in the DFW metroplex for early 200s. I will let folks chime in with more technical considerations but I also went from owning a 100 to owning a 100 + a 200 and I love both; if there's an allowance that would allow you to buy another Land Cruiser? No brainer in my humble opinion.

The allowance might cost me a bit more per month, but I end up driving a vehicle I enjoy everyday, my growing kids enjoy. I guess the question is about maintenance costs after 120K miles. I even have previous owners receipts, etc. and 100 got expensive after about 200K miles.

200 seems to be just as reliable...if not a little more.

I wouldn't consider 100-130k higher miles. Although if you are looking for that mileage range, the biggest thing to look out for is radiator. They are known to go, especially the older model radiators and there are threads on that. Other things to look out for that might be bigger maintenance items would be coolant valley leak that has a few threads on here, and cam tower leak (some just live it, like me).

Otherwise typical maintenance will happen with age and mileage such as starters, alternator, spark plugs, etc.

I picked up a 2009 about 2 years a go with 140k on it. It now has 165k+ on it. Driven in NYC traffic 5 days a week, a lot of road trips, fair bit of 4X4 driving. No minor or major repairs. The radiator was replaced by the previous owner preemptively. I replaced the battery because it was old. I replaced all off the major fluids and filters just because. Transmission shifts like new after a new filter and fluids. That was probably around $800 but I did that myself so I saved a bunch. Knock on wood but no problems. The thing runs like a top. Folks don't believe me its a 2009 until they see the navigation screen.

I picked up a 2009 about 2 years a go with 140k on it. It now has 165k+ on it. Driven in NYC traffic 5 days a week, a lot of road trips, fair bit of 4X4 driving. No minor or major repairs. The radiator was replaced by the previous owner preemptively. I replaced the battery because it was old. I replaced all off the major fluids and filters just because. Transmission shifts like new after a new filter and fluids. That was probably around $800 but I did that myself so I saved a bunch. Knock on wood but no problems. The thing runs like a top. Folks don't believe me its a 2009 until they see the navigation screen.

Knock on wood...I'm hoping to find one around 100K miles, like yours and my 100 series, a good maint history/records.

Appreciate you sharing your experience. There is just something comforting/safe about driving a LC.

I had to chuckle a bit when I read "XLT Crewcab 2WD". Do they even make 2WD pickups? ;) Of course I know they do and I'm sure they are fine in TX, but here in MI a 2WD pickup is super rare. My neighbor actually had one for a few months but sold if after it kept getting stuck in the wet grass in his yard.

I bet you would look forward to your business trips in a 200 LC more than any other vehicle, given your history with a 100. IMHO, find a good one, use your allowance, and never look back!

It's crazy not to get a 200 if you have the means and can afford the fuel.

I was hesitant about getting rid of my 05LX (165k) for a 08LC (201k). Wow just a worlds of difference. Even the suspension is still solid with these miles. 2 prior owners but was serviced at the same dealership. Other then my baselining all is good. Good luck with your search.

Mine is right at 119k - over the last 3 years and about 50k miles I've done about $3k in maintenance myself (radiator, water pump and other front engine friends, brakes, tires, all fluids, battery). It is mechanically perfect and still drives better than some new options I've driven lately. $1k/yr isn't bad in my book, and most of that stuff doesn't have to be done again for a few years in my case.

Mine is right at 119k - over the last 3 years and about 50k miles I've done about $3k in maintenance myself (radiator, water pump and other front engine friends, brakes, tires, all fluids, battery). It is mechanically perfect and still drives better than some new options I've driven lately. $1k/yr isn't bad in my book, and most of that stuff doesn't have to be done again for a few years in my case.

Trying to put my comparison numbers down, was going with $100/mos for "maintenance", that includes oil changes, tires, brakes, etc. Maybe I'm better off putting putting $125-$150. I was going to estimate 15mpg@$3.00/gal, 1500 miles per month? I get between 13-14 in my 99LC.

That would be $350-450 a month, plus insurance and my payment. That would need to be within my vehicle allowance.

I pay taxes on the mileage for my company so that's a cost even through I have a company vehicle, I also have no assett...ever. I would end up with some asset when it was paid off. I'm not sure what that's worth.

Trying to put my comparison numbers down, was going with $100/mos for "maintenance", that includes oil changes, tires, brakes, etc. Maybe I'm better off putting putting $125-$150. I was going to estimate 15mpg@$3.00/gal, 1500 miles per month? I get between 13-14 in my 99LC.

That would be $350-450 a month, plus insurance and my payment. That would need to be within my vehicle allowance.

I pay taxes on the mileage for my company so that's a cost even through I have a company vehicle, I also have no assett...ever. I would end up with some asset when it was paid off. I'm not sure what that's worth.

I wish I could find my calculations that I did for my first and second year of ownership. I had everything included to get a cost/mile number for each year just to satisfy my curiosity. It's probably nice and safe on the old smashed phone...

I don’t think the typical maintenance costs are really much different than
most vehicles, it’s not a Range Rover, it’s a Toyota. I got mine with 210k on it, And in 20k miles I’ve done lots of optional preventative maintenance like four corners of bearings, brake discs, serpentine belt, AHC maintenance etc. Non optional was a flat battery and failed radio amplifier. I’ve patched the radiator crack, it’ll fail eventually.
I suggest you use 14 for the mpg.

most vehicles, it’s not a Range Rover, it’s a Toyota. I got mine with 210k on it, And in 20k miles I’ve done lots of optional preventative maintenance like four corners of bearings, brake discs, serpentine belt, AHC maintenance etc. Non optional was a flat battery and failed radio amplifier. I’ve patched the radiator crack, it’ll fail eventually.

Good point...after all, its a Toyota. Thanks for your input.

I've been following along and doing the same math in my head as well - looking to pick up a 2011 with 163K miles and I want to get a solid feel for what I'm getting into... this is great stuff. mk

Were you able to do the bearing work yourself? Was it a major deal for parts / labor, or did you have it done by others? Also at what mileage did you do them? Thanks mk

Were you able to do the bearing work yourself? Was it a major deal for parts / labor, or did you have it done by others? Also at what mileage did you do them? Thanks mk
Front bearings are sealed and integrated into the hub, and relatively easy to do (just need the hub nut socket and a basic two arm puller). I'd rate it :banana::banana:. I chose to just replace the hub itself and not fiddle with servicing the bearing. If you do want to do just the bearing, you'd need a shop press. The bearing plus the labor to replace the bearing was more than the cost of a new hub with new bearing installed . . .
Rear bearings require a shop press and removal of the rear axles. I paid for this along with putting in my rear locker and changing the rear gear ratio to 4.88, but I'd put the cost for estimation purposes around $1k. It's not the parts, but the labor that contribute.
Front bearings around 210k, but I don't think this is a usual repair for this mileage. Rears around 220k.
The rears were making a racket. . .

I went from a '00 LC (over 230k miles when I sold it) to a '11 LX (currently 142k miles, purchased a year ago with 107k) and the power and refinement upgrades stepping up to the 200 series are abundant and plentiful. I too get a monthly allowance/gas card and have to travel a lot for work (hence the 35k I put on mine this year) and I have to say I relish almost every glorious mile in the LX. Its supremely comfortable and capable.

I loved my 100 series and planned on keeping it but pretty much immediately sold her after driving the 200 series for a couple months. It was hard getting back in the ol' hundy after daily driving the LX. I would say the maintenance costs and service intervals are about the same between the two. Both get terrible gas mileage. I did have to replace the radiator in my LX a few thousand miles ago but other than that its rock solid.

I loved my 100 but I LOVE my 200. Hope that makes sense :cool:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom