Thoughts on Dobinsons Comfort vs Spacers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it's not really a money thing as I figure the difference is probably $400-500, but that does come into play a little as my to-do list of stuff grows. I'd like to get thoughts on the direction between the 2 above (or another idea I may not have thought of)

It won't be wheeled. Maybe at some point it will have an ARB style bumper but no winch. On road handling doesn't matter where I'm at because many of the roads are crap (photo example below) and full of potholes (some are very large) or not even "roads" anymore. Going to friends houses sometimes requires "offroading" and some have some nasty washes on inclines but this is just an occasional issue and if it's not raining we can make it up in most 2wd vehicles on most roads although quite slow and picking lines.

Objective: A bit higher ground clearance, larger tires that will help to roll over smaller potholes with less impact, and comfort vs stiffness for the off roading. Think 4Runner TRD as in softer sprung.

From my reading I have come up with 2 options:
1. Dobinson comfort springs & monotube shocks
2. Stock springs (unless they're sagging too much) with spacer like MetalTech in front and coil spacer in rear. Which shocks, not quite sure yet so ideas on that would be welcomed.

I'm thinking 33's. 35's might be okay, but the extra weight and potential loss of fuel consumption would be negative as we have no highway, roads are windy, so the rotational mass will eat MPGs and I rarely get over past 80kph. I would prefer a wider tire for better sand flotation for when that's necessary.

Am I missing other options or being stupid about this?

Side road example - one that's in better shape than others
photo_server (2).jpeg

Example of other derelict paved roads
MYEG_(George_Town,_Exuma)_Airport_Runway_as_of_Feb_28,_2021.jpg

Dobinsons will probably be better than your stock tired shocks and springs, but I'd suggest reading the compiled shock review thread for other options.

If you drive roads like that often, I'd highly recommend spending the money for premium product. It is a bit of an investment, but I promise you, you will wonder why you didn't spend the money sooner after you swap in better suspension components.

I personally really like the FOX kit, but it may work better with my uncommon specific build and I havent tried icon etc.

Dobinsons will probably be better than your stock tired shocks and springs, but I'd suggest reading the compiled shock review thread for other options.

If you drive roads like that often, I'd highly recommend spending the money for premium product. It is a bit of an investment, but I promise you, you will wonder why you didn't spend the money sooner after you swap in better suspension components.

I personally really like the FOX kit, but it may work better with my uncommon specific build and I havent tried icon etc.

Existing shocks are Rancho's. Not my favorites on things I've driven with them, and no idea on age. They're coming out for sure, was just thinking about saving a couple of bucks on springs until I really need them. Probably a dumb idea.

80% is on paved roads that are somewhere around 50% better than the one pictured. 10% is on the rougher "roads" that have crumbled and 10% is on gravel/sand/sandy mud/washes depending on time of year.

I did read through a number of the lift/shock/suspension threads including the compiled one. I've been pretty happy with Bilsteins on most of my vehicles, lifted or stock but mostly on real roads and some light trails before we moved down here. OME just seems too hard on compression for my taste on a daily basis here.

Which FOX kit are you running? I'm assuming your truck is pretty heavy?

If you're a cheap guy, maybe try switching your ranchos for OEM tokico shocks first. They're not expensive and work really well with stock springs. You could run a smaller spacer if you wish (20mm) for a little extra clearance. Might end up spending more money later, but it might be enough of an improvement for your needs.

Probably the biggest bang per buck will be 33" tires with a C or D load rating.

If you're a cheap guy, maybe try switching your ranchos for OEM tokico shocks first. They're not expensive and work really well with stock springs. You could run a smaller spacer if you wish (20mm) for a little extra clearance. Might end up spending more money later, but it might be enough of an improvement for your needs.

Probably the biggest bang per buck will be 33" tires with a C or D load rating.
I dunno that I am cheap. I'm somewhere between that and the cry once type, depending on what it is. However, around here when it rains you'll find a new pothole in the part of the road covered by a rain puddle and may end up buying suspension parts the next day so bending an expensive shock on top of other stuff just adds to the wallet hurt.

But you bring up an interesting thought. I guess my thought process has been mostly about how to soften the suspension so I figured I would need to change it. But a good set of shocks without harsh compression valving on old springs might just do that.

Definitely will go with 33's at a minimum. Working on deciding whether to stick with 15" wheels as well for more sidewall.

Existing shocks are Rancho's. Not my favorites on things I've driven with them, and no idea on age. They're coming out for sure, was just thinking about saving a couple of bucks on springs until I really need them. Probably a dumb idea.

80% is on paved roads that are somewhere around 50% better than the one pictured. 10% is on the rougher "roads" that have crumbled and 10% is on gravel/sand/sandy mud/washes depending on time of year.

I did read through a number of the lift/shock/suspension threads including the compiled one. I've been pretty happy with Bilsteins on most of my vehicles, lifted or stock but mostly on real roads and some light trails before we moved down here. OME just seems too hard on compression for my taste on a daily basis here.

Which FOX kit are you running? I'm assuming your truck is pretty heavy?

I cant remember, the fox shocks in the rear are for something like 4-6" lifted 80, they work well considering the airbags in place of springs and added weight of the Cummins, bumpers etc. The front are fox shocks for like a 8" lifted Superduty ford truck, haven't driven on them yet as I'm still wrapping a build, but hopefully will work well considering the added weight and bags as well. After the improvement in the rear of my rig, I'm definitely excited for swapping out the Bilsteins though.

Rancho's look great, but they wear out much quicker than you'd expect, and even when new they are only better than worn out factory parts usually. I bought them before as well, and after driving in different rigs you realize how much potential better components have for a smoother ride.

I dunno that I am cheap. I'm somewhere between that and the cry once type, depending on what it is. However, around here when it rains you'll find a new pothole in the part of the road covered by a rain puddle and may end up buying suspension parts the next day so bending an expensive shock on top of other stuff just adds to the wallet hurt.

But you bring up an interesting thought. I guess my thought process has been mostly about how to soften the suspension so I figured I would need to change it. But a good set of shocks without harsh compression valving on old springs might just do that.

Definitely will go with 33's at a minimum. Working on deciding whether to stick with 15" wheels as well for more sidewall.

If your truck will fit 15" wheels, it's much easier to find D and C load rated tires in the 15" sizes. The majority of 16" tire sizes will come in E.

For the money, it would be hard to beat the stock Tokico shocks with OME "stock" height springs. Will probably net you 1/2" of lift over your stock springs.

If your truck will fit 15" wheels, it's much easier to find D and C load rated tires in the 15" sizes. The majority of 16" tire sizes will come in E.
Good to know - I haven't been looking too extensively yet, and keeping the weight down is desired. Thanks for that tip!

For the money, it would be hard to beat the stock Tokico shocks with OME "stock" height springs. Will probably net you 1/2" of lift over your stock springs.
Interesting - would you think the dampening of the stock shock is enough for those springs? I'll have to check through the shock/spring thread again to see what the spring rates are.

But, if going to replace both shocks and springs, why not go with the Dobinson comfort springs other than what I assume would be some savings on shock prices?

Monotube or remote reservoir help to avoid fade which is only important if you’re driving rough roads for an extended period of time. Otherwise grab some stock shocks to pair with coils that are similar to factory specs. I’ve read mixed reviews in the OME stock replacement coils with some reporting a firmer ride.

Monotube or remote reservoir help to avoid fade which is only important if you’re driving rough roads for an extended period of time. Otherwise grab some stock shocks to pair with coils that are similar to factory specs. I’ve read mixed reviews in the OME stock replacement coils with some reporting a firmer ride.
Going from memory here, but I thought I recall the travel specs being increased on some remote reservoir ones since the shock itself doesn't have to hold all the fluid. Am I being a dunce? I am by no means an expert on shock stuff, hence this thread...

Going from memory here, but I thought I recall the travel specs being increased on some remote reservoir ones since the shock itself doesn't have to hold all the fluid. Am I being a dunce? I am by no means an expert on shock stuff, hence this thread...
Travel increases with most aftermarket off-road oriented shocks. Stock 80 has more than enough travel for the need you’re describing.

So, here's another option - 4WP says this Bilstein front adjustable kit fits my 92. I'm a bit skeptical since Bilstein's site doesn't show this, but if they say they confirm it will fit, I don't have much risk besides my time/labor. Bilstein 2 5100 Series Struts and 2 5100 Series Shock Package - SHOCKINGBIL5100W-FRTSTRUT - https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/bilstein-2-5100-series-struts-and-2-5100-series-shock-package-shockingbil5100w-frtstrut/_/R-BBGL-SHOCKINGBIL5100W-FRTSTRUT

Thoughts?
I suggest sticking with the products that are more well known to fit and work. Even then there is a lot of info to sift through.

Travel increases with most aftermarket off-road oriented shocks. Stock 80 has more than enough travel for the need you’re describing.
Had to go back and look it up, cause that's just me. The B8 5100 vs 5160's on my previous truck had about 1.5" more travel with the external reservoirs. You're right though, I don't need much for my use.
I suggest sticking with the products that are more well known to fit and work. Even then there is a lot of info to sift through.

Yeah, you're right.

My OME 2" lift upgrade (springs and shocks) has a harsher ride, but I think it's meant to compensate for a semi-loaded expedition rig. Definitely miss the stock ride though. The same lift configuration on my HDJ-81 has a less harsh ride and is 1/2" lower due to the weight of the 1HD-T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom