Thoughts on buying 1975 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found this one online, literally after looking for years, not my ideal rig, but seems like a decent deal. Seller is looking at $22.5k. Too far to take a look so trying to get as educated as I can before I make a 10 hour road trip. Claims to be all original and bought out of college. Interior looks ok for age. Typical problem areas with body, No PB or PS everything works as it should. Not looking for show car or daily driver just something to have fun with possibly do some mild restorations . Any input on what else I should be asking or checking on? or pull the rip cord?? Have additional photos.

1628434347864.png

1628434172708.png

1628434230309.png

1628434268769.png

1628434386304.png

there is more rust there than you are seeing.
it has been repainted or touched up at some point
the right rear quarter has bondo with rust behind it
rust at the driver B pillar on the hardtop
price seems high for what it is, but prices are all high right now.
how long has it been for sale?
no PB? it has power brakes

Everything 3 puppies said. Has quite a bit of rust. Also, the door hinge hardware looked painted; I thought they weren’t doing that anymore in 75? If that’s the case, it’s had a respray while assembled. I wouldn’t spend $22,500 on that one, maybe $12,500?

Maybe if the dashboard hula is included.

even the hood is rotted through at the rear brace......there is A LOT of hiding rust on that one.
it has already had at least one round of bondo and paint....the holes in the aprons for the toyota land cruiser emblem have been covered over.

Will throw in the rear sill looks like a cover has been installed in the section under the doors. Guessing rusted sill was just covered up verses being replaced.

Thanks all. I know it had some trouble spots but don’t have a trained eye like you. Thanks for the input. Spoke to the owner he’s only had it for 3 months plus he has 2 others. Nice guy very open but sure he’s trying to make some $ on the deal.

I am not sure how US prices are right now….I bought mine in Costa Rica where they are a lot more affordable…..but I wouldn’t spend any more than like 8k-11k max, and I would have it as a years long project, not a weekend car. This car is completely rusted out like others have stated.

WAY too much money for that 75 and it's rust, etc. Keep looking. You should be able to find a much nicer 40 for that kind of money. Also be sure and see it in person

A thought from my experiences here - there's "almost" always a Mud member close enough to any 40 for sale that's willing to take a look for you. I've found this board has incredible insight and most members are looking out for one another, especially in a new purchase for another member.

Also, the fact that the owner is letting it go after a few months of ownership should tell you something immediately about the 40. Whether he's flipping it or just moving it after discovering the work needed - buyer beware!

Good luck in your search - patience will = peace of mind!

Agreed. Appreciate the help.
This rig is close to you. I'm in NY for work and have looked at it. Yes, you'll need to piece the top together and get some doors, but it's not completely rotten like all the other 40's for sale out here. I looked at a green '78 that was listed for $18k in Poughkeepsie. I told the seller that there was no amount of money I would pay for the truck, literally every body panel had rot. It was gone in 2 days. I feel so bad for you all on the east coast. Rust is a soul killer.

A US specs 40 with lipstick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom